Change curved track rotation to require fewer keypresses

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

threehams
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Change curved track rotation to require fewer keypresses

Post by threehams »

Currently, the curved track uses this pattern. Building a circle clockwise takes 5 rotations per track, building counterclockwise takes 3.

If the pattern were switched to this, building clockwise would only be 1 rotation per track.

Without reverse rotation, it would take 7 keypresses to build a track counter-clockwise, so this may be far worse than current without a reverse rotation hotkey. :)

Edit: Full-size images are at http://imgur.com/a/4qL89.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Change curved track rotation to require fewer keypresses

Post by Nova »

Yeah, I wanted to mention that since... well, ages. :D

And we really need a reverse rotation key. Shift + R anyone? :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

threehams
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by threehams »

I threw together some awful code in Autohotkey if anyone uses it, for demonstration. Makes rail construction much nicer for now.

Shift-T to switch to Train Mode, R to rotate right, Shift-R to rotate left.

Code: Select all

$+t::
IfWinActive, Factorio
{
	SendInput +t
	If TrainMode = 1
	{
		TrainMode := 0
	}
	else
	{
		TrainMode := 1
	}
}
else
{
	SendInput +t
}
return

$r::
If TrainMode = 1
{
	SendInput rrrrr
}
else
{
	SendInput r
}
return

$+r::
If TrainMode = 1
{
	SendInput rrr
}
else
{
	SendInput +r
}
return

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

unless/until a counter rotation key is put into the game, changing the order of rotations would only benefit clockwise turns.
counter-clockwise turns would take longer.
neither direction is better than the other, and both are needed in approx. equal numbers, varying more on map geography than on player preference or handedness. (assuming they're not one of those hydrophobics seen round these parts.)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

The only thing that annoys me is that it makes NO SENSE at my brain the decision to rotate like that. It always felt RANDOM, and still does, even after 1 year of factory building. It still feels completely RANDOM.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

threehams wrote:I threw together some awful code in Autohotkey if anyone uses it, for demonstration. Makes rail construction much nicer for now.

Shift-T to switch to Train Mode, R to rotate right, Shift-R to rotate left.

Code: Select all

$+t::
IfWinActive, Factorio
{
	SendInput +t
	If TrainMode = 1
	{
		TrainMode := 0
	}
	else
	{
		TrainMode := 1
	}
}
else
{
	SendInput +t
}
return

$r::
If TrainMode = 1
{
	SendInput rrrrr
}
else
{
	SendInput r
}
return

$+r::
If TrainMode = 1
{
	SendInput rrr
}
else
{
	SendInput +r
}
return
I love autohotkey for this kind of stuff. And I use it at work all the time to do things like inserting datestamps and comment headers.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

SHiRKiT wrote:The only thing that annoys me is that it makes NO SENSE at my brain the decision to rotate like that. It always felt RANDOM, and still does, even after 1 year of factory building. It still feels completely RANDOM.
Been a bit, but IIRC, it's ordered clockwise by direction of the rail ending. North end pieces, then East ends then South and then West (could be backwards), with the straight tracks thrown in between the directions. After the initial game or two of ever using rails, the rotation came almost naturally, and I could usually know how many presses I would need for the next section before I laid (or finished laying) the previous one.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

n9103 wrote:
SHiRKiT wrote:The only thing that annoys me is that it makes NO SENSE at my brain the decision to rotate like that. It always felt RANDOM, and still does, even after 1 year of factory building. It still feels completely RANDOM.
Been a bit, but IIRC, it's ordered clockwise by direction of the rail ending. North end pieces, then East ends then South and then West (could be backwards), with the straight tracks thrown in between the directions. After the initial game or two of ever using rails, the rotation came almost naturally, and I could usually know how many presses I would need for the next section before I laid (or finished laying) the previous one.
I still can't =\

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

SHiRKiT wrote:
n9103 wrote: ~ snip ~
I still can't =\
I'm with SHiRKiT on this one. Rotation order has always felt jumbled. And I understand its current rotation order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

n9103 wrote:
I suppose that's one place where the rest of us fail to see the logic. Rail endings are a very new addition.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tobsimon »

Topic: Yes please
Nova wrote:And we really need a reverse rotation key. Shift + R anyone? :D
Also, yes please.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”