Tweak New Landfill Visual and Recipe

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MooseBoys
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Tweak New Landfill Visual and Recipe

Post by MooseBoys »

TL;DR
Add steel to landfill recipe and reflect this in the new diagonal-grid visual from 9/20's FFF.
What ?
I like the new "stamped" style of landfill, and am fine with the new diagonal style. However the switch to diagonal makes makes me realize that some of the gridlines are elevated, rather than recessed. This leaves a visual of dirt mounds higher than their natural angle of repose, which IMO looks unnatural, and doesn't make sense as the result of any kind of "stamping" process - you'd either have convex or concave land, but not both. And in the case of concave land, the peaks would erode very rapidly.

As presented in FFF-313:

My suggestion is to add a hint of metal to the elevated regions of gridlines, suggesting some kind of wiring structure was used to create it and is preventing the peaks from eroding:

To make this consistent with the recipe, landfill could be modified to e.g. 1 steel + 100 stone = 5 landfill.

Alternatively, the visual could be updated to only have convex land with recessed gridlines, but I personally like the contrast of having both.
Why ?
This would be a minor visual tweak and inconsequential recipe change that improves the immersiveness of the Factorio universe.
Attachments
landfill-original.png
landfill-original.png (37.2 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
landfill-mod.png
landfill-mod.png (38.67 KiB) Viewed 2055 times

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Tweak New Landfill Visual and Recipe

Post by foamy »

It isn't actually inconsequential. I use landfill as a sink for all the boulders I blow up while exploring. :v

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

starting to think about it, what bugs me even more is, that landfill needs stone, but you cant see even one stone.

I guess these inaccuracies are something we have to live with.

another example: how are the belts powered
and how do the items stay on the belt even though there is nothing that prevents them to fall of the belt.
how can a locomotive or an oil refinery fit on a belt, even though it is much larger when placed?
crates: how can a steel crate be larger, even though it occupies the same space like a wood crate?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

JimBarracus wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am
starting to think about it, what bugs me even more is, that landfill needs stone, but you cant see even one stone.

I guess these inaccuracies are something we have to live with.

another example: how are the belts powered
and how do the items stay on the belt even though there is nothing that prevents them to fall of the belt.
how can a locomotive or an oil refinery fit on a belt, even though it is much larger when placed?
crates: how can a steel crate be larger, even though it occupies the same space like a wood crate?
Do you even know what "game" means?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am
JimBarracus wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am
how can a steel crate be larger, even though it occupies the same space like a wood crate?
Do you even know what "game" means?
Do you even know what "fridge logic" means?
MooseBoys wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 pm
My suggestion is to add a hint of metal to the elevated regions of gridlines, suggesting some kind of wiring structure was used to create it and is preventing the peaks from eroding
That's also what i thought the graphic was supposed to represent. Some sort of coated wire. Having it look "metallic" would mean it's not coated though, and thus would quickly rust and break (if it looks better though...). But putting even one iron bar into the current recipe would mean landfill is suddenly 2.4% iron. Given how much landfill one often needs and how much iron is already needed everywhere else i'm not convinced that's a good idea.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

MooseBoys
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MooseBoys »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 pm
That's also what i thought the graphic was supposed to represent. Some sort of coated wire. Having it look "metallic" would mean it's not coated though, and thus would quickly rust and break (if it looks better though...). But putting even one iron bar into the current recipe would mean landfill is suddenly 2.4% iron. Given how much landfill one often needs and how much iron is already needed everywhere else i'm not convinced that's a good idea.
My main suggestion is to just alter sprite slightly - the recipe change is secondary, and optional.

malkav73
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Color of New Landfill

Post by malkav73 »

I was just placing large amounts of landfill for the first time since the update, and while I really like the new pattern, it occurred to me that landfill is 100% stone but when placed it looks like fresh dirt. It should be closer in color to stone: more beige, less brown. Not the same exact shade as stone, but more yellow/ochre than the current color.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into a very related older topic (make the landfill recipe and visual match more).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”