Splitting stacks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Azzinoth
Inserter
Inserter

Splitting stacks

Post by Azzinoth »

While holding items in your cursor you can use shift+scroll to change stack size. Let it work on a logarithmic scale, such that scolling down halves stack size and scrolling up doubles the stack size.

The maximum size would be the max stack size (or even better, the amout of items in inventory), minimum size would be 1.

Make it such that inserting items into entities via ctrl+click always inserts the stack size you selected, instead of halfing the size every click (like right click currently is) or going back to full stack size.

The advantage is, that you can very quickly and convenietly choose the size that you want. You can also distribute items evenly over multiple entities.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Splitting stacks

Post by jodokus31 »

+1, although I'm not sure about the actual solution.
Use case, filling turrets manually, you can only put in half stacks (100) or 1 by drop key. But most of the time, you want to insert 10 or 20.
I would like to see a possibility to configure the ctrl-right click behaviour. Or a different control to insert a configurable fixed amount.

There are also mods: Even Distribution, Fill4Me, etc. which help, but IMO a bit too much

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Related thread with similar/competing suggestion:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46466 Manual Stack size Toggle

I agree that one of these suggestions or something similar should be implemented, as it currently is a pain to fill several turrets equally. I would like it best if it were possible to enter an exact value to be placed in your hand, and that this amount does not get reset every time you place that amount into the turret.

Azzinoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Azzinoth »

jodokus31 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am
Use case, filling turrets manually, you can only put in half stacks (100) or 1 by drop key. But most of the time, you want to insert 10 or 20.
I would like to see a possibility to configure the ctrl-right click behaviour. Or a different control to insert a configurable fixed amount.

There are also mods: Even Distribution, Fill4Me, etc. which help, but IMO a bit too much
Yes, with my proposal (logarithmic) you would only be able to choose 25 and 12 as size (instead of 20 and 10). I think that is close enough for almost all use cases. I don't usually need to be exact to the last item. But as a solution I think we could add another modifier key, for example ctrl+scroll changes size by +-1. You could then use shift to get the approximate stack size and then fine tune with ctrl.

If some people don't like the wierd numbers, you could also round to closest multiple of 5 after halving/doubling. That means sizes 200 - 100 - 50 - 25 - 10 - 5 - 1 could be chosen.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Azzinoth wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am

Yes, with my proposal (logarithmic) you would only be able to choose 25 and 12 as size (instead of 20 and 10). I think that is close enough for almost all use cases. I don't usually need to be exact to the last item. But as a solution I think we could add another modifier key, for example ctrl+scroll changes size by +-1. You could then use shift to get the approximate stack size and then fine tune with ctrl.

If some people don't like the wierd numbers, you could also round to closest multiple of 5 after halving/doubling. That means sizes 200 - 100 - 50 - 25 - 10 - 5 - 1 could be chosen.
You could also choose 12 and then drop 2 more into your own inventory so the cursor reads 10. Then insert 10 in each turrent.

The feature that after ctrl-click the cursor keeps the stack size might be the more useful feature.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:33 pm
The feature that after ctrl-click the cursor keeps the stack size might be the more useful feature.
That's also a very good idea. If you take half a stack out of inventory by right-click and then insert half of that by ctrl-right click, you currently can insert a 1/4 stack. But only the first time. If the stack selection would remain, you could insert 1/4 stacks everywhere.
In case of full stacks of ammo it would mean 50 (still a bit high). In case of full stacks of coal into burners it would mean 12 or 13, which is almost a nice amount for burner phase.

Adjusting stack sizes with mouse wheel would maybe feel a bit fiddly ?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”