Usability issues with blueprint and blueprint library

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Usability issues with blueprint and blueprint library

Post by planetmaker »

The blueprint system in factorio is awesome.

However there's a few places where handling them can be improved from a user experience IMHO - most of it has also already been suggested and discussed:

* blueprints do not belong into my player inventory. They feel like an alien object there to me. Possibly similar can be said for upgrade and deconstruction planner. The library is enough, it's clearly accessible and I can use anything from there. It's totally unintuitive why they exist both, in player inventory and library and you can do different things with them in different places. Just one place outside inventory to handle them would be *so* much better.

* Guard deleting blueprint books by a confirmation. Currently you can have a blueprint from the book selected and try to drag it to the trash can. Now you successfully deleted the whole blueprint book. That cost me quite a few useful blueprints.

* Allow editing of blueprint icons in library similar to how you can (re)name them

* Allow editing of blueprint like you can upon creation: removing items from it.

Bonus items:
* Actual editing with addition / rotation of single items
* Mirroring is an issue with certain items, I understand. Yet at times, for belt setups or station unloaders with chests and inserters it would come in pretty handy.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Usability issues with blueprint and blueprint library

Post by Koub »

@OP : FYI, all these suggestions have already been made, individually or grouped, in the past.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Usability issues with blueprint and blueprint library

Post by planetmaker »

Trying to make a blueprint book which can be shared, a few issues cropped up (they might be in other places... but I didn't find the canonical thread for it):

* Exporting a blueprint or blueprint book (to a string) cannot be done from the library
* Editing icons in the library would be totally awesome
* Nested blueprint books would be awesome (so that I could arrange blueprints like files in a directory tree). Use-case is different play styles. An example usage: I could have a book which reads 'rail' with sub-books 'stations', 'junctions',... which in turn have sub-books which have the setup for different train lengths and left-hand-drive and right-hand-drive.
* Selectively sharing blueprint books with players instead of all (I think that's implemented). But I had to re-join server to update the game library after my blueprints were uploaded
* it would be totally awe-inspring if there was an in-place editor to blueprints
* Adding upgrade and deconstruction planners to the library just the same as blueprints

Also re FFF309: blueprints should not be a modded feature but remain a core feature. They are extremely helpful in successful collective base building :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”