Gamespeed setting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Wubbi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Gamespeed setting

Post by Wubbi »

Hello,

in game feedback (general discussion) bill asked for a pause key to make planning your actions easier. I think what also would be very nice is a way to change the gamespeed. Sometimes you want things to go slow so you can have a better look what happens where and why, and sometimes you just wait for 10 minutes doing nothing until you get the resources you're waitig for or the research to finish. At the moment i achieve this by changing Multisampling (my PC isn't really fast, so a high value slows down the game quite a bit).

Thanks for reading!

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Gamespeed setting

Post by mngrif »

This would be most excellent. Also as mentioned elsewhere, being able to change the view and zoom while paused would be a killer feature.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This is really a good idea! This reminds me of ttd.
It would be easy to slow down, but speeding up may be hard with huge factories.
We plan to do a lot of optimisations in the future that could hopefully make space for increasing the game speed.

It is probably quite clear, that this would be limited to singleplayer.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

kovarex wrote: It is probably quite clear, that this would be limited to singleplayer.
The mechanics for time manipulation in multiplayer is already well known. In co-op, you just share the controls with everyone else, and in PvP modes the only one available is pause, which is also shared (anyone can unpause). Hopefully your statement isn't more along the lines of "the engine can't do this without a major rewrite" :)

Examples: AI War, Star Ruler, Starcraft

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Valkor wrote:
kovarex wrote: It is probably quite clear, that this would be limited to singleplayer.
The mechanics for time manipulation in multiplayer is already well known. In co-op, you just share the controls with everyone else, and in PvP modes the only one available is pause, which is also shared (anyone can unpause). Hopefully your statement isn't more along the lines of "the engine can't do this without a major rewrite" :)

Examples: AI War, Star Ruler, Starcraft
Ok, setting the game speed for the whole game (like in stacraft) is possible, I could also imagine doing shared speed settings in cooperative multiplayer.
It is harder to imagine in competitive multiplayer, but even that might be possible (both would have limited amount of time they can slow down, this would add nice strategy element to the game).
I'm sorry if I'm reinventing the wheel here.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

kovarex wrote:
Valkor wrote:
kovarex wrote: I'm sorry if I'm reinventing the wheel here.
You seem to be doing a great job of reinventing many wheels (genres). Keep up the good work!

Ozo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ozo »

I personally hate being able to alter speed, after a while you end up playing at the fastest game speed at all times and your game experience is pretty much fast forwarded, which results in getting bored with the game faster.

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

Well, don't use it then, it's only an option. It's like cheat codes, you don't have to play with them...

Ozo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ozo »

( Tchey ) wrote:Well, don't use it then, it's only an option. It's like cheat codes, you don't have to play with them...
Yeah, but it's like a cheat that you don't need to find or to learn about. If you have the possibility within 1 keystroke, you will use it sooner or later.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Ozo wrote:
( Tchey ) wrote:Well, don't use it then, it's only an option. It's like cheat codes, you don't have to play with them...
Yeah, but it's like a cheat that you don't need to find or to learn about. If you have the possibility within 1 keystroke, you will use it sooner or later.
Self control is a virtue.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Necroing.

Has been implemented, but functionality was reduced with MP. I leave it open for re-discussion.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”