Add: Issuing warnings about outdated mods

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NewTech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Add: Issuing warnings about outdated mods

Post by NewTech »

[Used Google Translate]
At the moment, there are too many popular and not very mods that have gross errors that have emerged from the intermediate changes in the game itself. As such, I am not a mod developer, but I was forced to correct errors and bugs in the mods of other developers so that I myself could play well. I made a small assembly of 20 fresh mods. I have already corrected more than 100 errors and incorrect values in this mods. (this is without regard to their mutual compatibility).
The authors of many mods that rely on pollution do not know that there has been a devaluation of pollution since quite a long time. Now you have changed the mechanics of fluids and the process tree and this will break even more mods. Changing something on the little things, it also leads to inconspicuous breakdowns in mods. Not to mention the bad update mods from version 0.16.
Therefore, I propose to make a notice to inform all creators of mods and players that they are used. Make a notification in the client with some 0.17.6x version of the use of possibly incompatible mods that have [base> = 0.17.6x - 1], giving a warning of this nature:

==================================
Among the included mods, the following modes may be fully or partially not compatible with the current version of the game:
* Bla-Bla_1
* Bla_foo_2
* Bla_bla_bar_3
If you are the creator of these mods, visit this page: www.factorio.com/.../.../changes_in_game .
==================================

=== www.factorio.com/.../.../changes_in_game ===
If you are a mod developer and you are here, then carefully read the changes made in the game below and be sure to fix your mods in accordance with them. Your mods will not like players if they cause problems.

Be sure to consider these changes in their modes:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add: Issuing warnings about outdated mods

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, there's now the "Deprecated" tag, and all mods might be automatically tagged as "Deprecated" upon major modding interface changes, but it might be a bit of a nuclear option, considering that AFAIK it removes the mods from the search results ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add: Issuing warnings about outdated mods

Post by mmmPI »

Mod_Name : something
Mod_Version : 1.0
Mod_created_for_factorio_version 0.17.6( Current lastest version)
Mod_created_for_factorio_version 16 ( Compatibility may be broken )

Something like that might be added ingame at the mods portal, that might help to prevent such confusion:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73280

Less restrictive than "DEPRECATED" you just get a warning, i understand the suggestion especially when a version is new if you are not familiar with update cycle in factorio you can be a bit lost as to why suddenly half the mods doesn't work anymore, and the next day it's only 30% and next day there is only this 1 mod and you don't know why the modder didn't update, maybe he couldn't. If you can read the version of factorio when it was published you could research for yourself to see if something was introduced that might have broken the mod.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”