Expanded Dependency Loop Error

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kryzeth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Expanded Dependency Loop Error

Post by Kryzeth »

As of now, the error simply states: "Circular dependency from [mod x] to [mod y]"

But doesn't actually show the chain causing the dependency loop. This wouldn't be so important, if mods couldn't hide their dependencies, making them appear invisible in-game. This requires those who have a dependency loop error to actually look through the info.json files of every single mod they have in their mod folder, regardless of whether or not the mods in question are disabled.

In my most recent experience, I was adding an optional dependency to another mod (mod x in the example, Krastorio), into my own mod (mod y in the example, Reverse Factory). A third mod (Space Exploration Post Processing) had a hidden optional dependency to Reverse Factory, and Krastorio had an optional dependency to the post processing mod.

Thus the loop became Krastorio -> Post Processing -> Reverse Factory -> Krastorio; but the error only specified Krastorio and Reverse Factory. I had dozens of other (disabled) mods, and simply looking through the in-game dependencies, couldn't find a loop. I had to actually go through the info.json file just to find a whole list of hidden optional dependencies in the post processing mod.

So my request would be to expand this error to include the names of all mods contributing to the dependency loop.

If this is infeasible, then change the hidden optional dependencies feature to be a setting that is on by default, but can be toggled off (so modders and advanced users can still see all dependencies).

(On a secondary note, this error completely prevents loading into the main menu, making it impossible to correct, without actually going into the mod folder in Windows Explorer and deleting the offending mods. Even worse, this error can be caused by disabled mods, which shouldn't even be affecting the load order or be taken into account when loading the game.)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”