Middle click to set all filters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Middle click to set all filters

Post by Chao »

TL;DR
I want to be able to middle click on a train, or other container with filterable inventory slots, and set the filter to the current contents.

What ?
Middle click can currently be used to set filter slots, but doing it for a whole container is slow and repetitive. This gets even worse on trains where you might want to set on multiple carriages.

Mixed supply trains (eg base building, outpost defence) need filters to help ensure a correct mix (unless you want to go with convoluted circuit networks reading contents and inserters working on current contents of course, which would be interesting to see).

Setting all these slot filters is a ball ache, particularly if you're changing your mind on numbers etc as you go, it is however relatively easy to place items in containers as you see fit. If I could lay out my inventory with normal item placement, come out of the contents screen, and then just middle click the container to set every slot to filter to its current contents it would take out a lot of needless extra clicks and time.

Bonus is for single item trains, one stop at the loading station and then a middle click to protect it from accidentally adding the wrong stop and filling your copper smelting line with iron.
Why ?
  • It's a relatively simple addition to the game''s controls
  • It builds on existing user interaction models without conflicting with existing uses
  • Reduces needless interactions for a simple task

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Middle click to set all filters

Post by eradicator »

If you have multiple wagons with the same set of filters you can simply copy that with shift+right click -> shift+left click.

I'd prefer if shift+left-click dragging worked to assign filters to multiple slots without releasing the mouse button - the same it works for pasting settings onto entities (i.e. assembler recipes).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chao »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm
If you have multiple wagons with the same set of filters you can simply copy that with shift+right click -> shift+left click.

I'd prefer if shift+left-click dragging worked to assign filters to multiple slots without releasing the mouse button - the same it works for pasting settings onto entities (i.e. assembler recipes).
That's fine for when you have existing wagons setup as you want that you want to copy. It doesn't help in initially setting them up.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm
If you have multiple wagons with the same set of filters
then it helps you for all but the first wagon...
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”