Different game goal concept - rising the colony

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Yandersen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Different game goal concept - rising the colony

Post by Yandersen »

Feels disappointing to understand that I build the huge infrastructure just to launch a single rocket and get a "win" message. The continuation option feels pointless without goals - like there is no purpose to keep going.

So I suggest a deeper and more global concept for the game - let the player play a role of a pioneer robotic engineer arriving at a hostile planet with a purpose of building a colony for human colonists to live in.

So the first game stage is similar to what we have now (raising the factory, securing the territory), but ends with a construction of a colony shelters and a spaceport. The spaceport is required to receive the spaceships filled with colonists. And the shelters - accepting colonists to live in them. The more colonists in the shelter, the more consumer goods of various kind as well as food (produced by the player's built factory) it must be provided with. In return, the shelters act as a science labs, doing a research with a speed bonus based on the number of colonists in it.

The concept may be extended further if colonists will be able to go for a walk away from the shelters and act on their own. Say, they may walk around digging ores, get in groups to attack biters' nests or even act as a logistic robots carrying items between logistic chests. Also, they may enter any production building with an "operator module" installed in a module slot and provide various benefits for the building just like modules do.
To limit the areas of their wonders the hazardous concrete may act as a blocker for their pathfinding algorithm preventing the colonists to cross it to ensure they will not get onto the rail trucks and get killed, for example.

So the second game stage is a continuous growing of the colony: the more shelters the player builds, the more colonists arrive. They may also leave a colony via spaceports for various reasons - if the shelters do not get enough supply or receive too much pollution.

Eventually, once the colony hits a certain number of colonists, the trade with a main colony becomes available via shipments sent by rockets and received by special cargo spaceports. Each rocket sent with cargo causes the silo to output the certain amount of credits based on the value of the cargo. Those credits can be used to purchase the required items requested at the cargo spaceport to get shipped from the main colony via the next arriving cargo shuttle.

That is all for now, hope the devs or the modders will like the idea. Really wish to see the deep expansion of the late game. :)

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Different game goal concept - rising the colony

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

Late game expansion isn't really a thing the devs want * if I remember, looking for the FFF now..

Nope, can't find it. I think that the devs MIGHT * have said something about wanting the freeplay scenario modular for mods and stuff like B&A, PY, etc.
Also, tried multiplayer?

* I'm dumb and this likely never happened, but I swear i remember a thread from an obscure time ago.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”