Non-instant multi-stage (de-)construction (and more)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cybervantyz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Non-instant multi-stage (de-)construction (and more)

Post by Cybervantyz »

Yeah, yeah, at my opinion the game is not complicated enough, so gimme more complication =)
Instant construction of assembling machines and other buildings if easy and fun, but it has no relation to reality
In reality we need to construct a base on which everything stands, then some bearing walls (or other bearing constructions) and overlaps, then roof, then some divisions, then wiring, then facing, then place equipment and, finally we need to tune that equipment. After that, we probably can force something so function properly.
What do we have now in Factorio? Right, entire automatic factory of, say, electronic circuits in the pocket (!), which can immediately get to work if thrown on ground not far from an electric pole.

In other games we've all seen how multi-stage construction can be implemented (remember Settlers 2/3/4 for example)
What it can look like:
We need to define a construction site, then bring on it some materials so we can get to work, and invest some man-hours into actual construction. After it finishes, we can decide what to construct next on this site, than bring some materials and so on. For example, if we wanna build an assembling machine, we need to build basement (stage 1), than actual building (stage 2) and bring some equipment in it (final stage 3) - with all stages requiring some man-hours invested.
In addition to technology tree we can have a building tree - on a basement we can build several types of buildings, and in a building we can bring different equipment, and that equipment can we configured and tuned in different ways.

Same thing with deconstruction.
WTF is "mining" of buildings, LOL?
From building we can remove some equipment and replace it with different one. Or we can (after removing equipment) deconstruct entire building and put something different on it's basement. Or we can even deconstruct the basement itself.

This construction/deconstruction system will bring a lot more fun, as for me.

But there's always more.
Let's make some items too heavy for player (and those tiny flying drones) to lift and carry, so we need some transporter cars to move them and some cranes to put them in place!
Let's bring some wear and tear to equipment, so we (or robots) need to maintain it!
Let's choose different construction materials and parts, so we can build wooden or steel inserters!
Let's make recipes more complex! WTF robot arm consists only of 3 parts? In real life there's at least 300!
Let's make some items impossible to craft by hands! It's strange to see a man who bends a pipe with his bare hands in 0.5 seconds!!1
Let's make crafting way more slow and painful, so we need to automate freaking everything!
Let's bring voltage and amperage to our electric systems, so we can have machines for different voltage!
Let's bring looses in our electric systems, so we need to transform our electricity to a higher voltage, so it can be transmitted more effectively!
Let's bring some more realistic power producing systems, so we can have different turbines and generators!
Let's implement casting, pressing and cutting - that's how we work with materials in real life

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Non-instant multi-stage (de-)construction (and more)

Post by FishSandwich »

Sorry, but I don't like your building ideas, I don't think they work for this game. I have a huge base (100h save) which would've taken forever to build with that system. I probably would have given up and/or gotten bored before finishing.

The game is moddable though, it'd be a huge pain but I don't see why you couldn't mod that building system into the game(not sure how many would use that mod though)

Also, nearly all of your 'let's' ideas can already be done via modding and/or there are mods already available that do that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You mix complexity with gameplay. That is not, what the devs are looking for. :)

If wanted I can search about some interesting articles about that. Or anybody else, cause it was discussed in spring thus year.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

How should that game work? Do you want to take 10 hours just to make a red science assembly line? That doesn't work. The game would become unplayable.

But there's one thing I like about this idea: How about we do this for some epic buildings? Like the rocket defense? It would be like the game Anno (1404 or 2070). Normal buildings can be build instantly, but the big buildings need some steps and time to be finished.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Why do games have to be like other games. :) I like factorio because it's unique!

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

To the OP, what does this suggestion add to the game? Is it just some time-sink that I have to go through every time before I can build in an area, or does it open up new options and interesting choices? I think complexity should be actively avoided when it doesn't meet that test.

Architekt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Architekt »

FishSandwich wrote:Why do games have to be like other games. :) I like factorio because it's unique!
+1

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”