Suggestion: Allow organizing train stops into a hierarchy with "folders"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Suggestion: Allow organizing train stops into a hierarchy with "folders"

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

tl;dr
Support organizing train stations into a form of folder structure to help navigating when there are a lot of them.
What?
I'm currently playing a map with 545 train stops and counting, and while the search-functionality in the train stop list is usually tremendously useful, sometimes I need to rather find the name by scrolling, which is painful with this many stations (e.g. when adding a new station and wanting to name it using the same scheme as other stations of the same "type"). It would be great if I could rather organize my stations somehow into a tree of folders or labels or something, so I could e.g. have a folder "miners" with a subfolder for "iron ore", "copper ore", etc. and assign stations to them.

Given that I suspect 545 train stops isn't that common, I'd totally understand if you want to ignore my suggestion :-)

Thanks for an awesome game!

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Suggestion: Allow organizing train stops into a hierarchy with "folders"

Post by boran_blok »

I dunno man, I got a serious amount of trains tops myself:
Seablock Stations.png
Seablock Stations.png (715.35 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
I have a very strict grid naming scheme however, this helps in finding them.

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

I don't really have an issue with finding the geographical location, the UI works pretty well for that, just navigating that large list is annoying, though it obviously works.

That said, your map looks fun :-)

adamius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by adamius »

I use different prefixes for train stops to group by purpose or general area based on x,y position. A spreadsheet for naming trainstops or similar automated solution makes this easier.

This is why I usually export all train stops to CSV, edit them in bulk, then re-import them back in.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I'm using icons for many stops now. Which makes searching even more of a problem. Often I simply go into map mode, search for the station I want to copy the name from, open it and use ctrl-c to copy the name.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

The suggestion proposed would also help in those case viewtopic.php?f=18&t=72029.

gHoST INFERNO wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 pm
I don't really have an issue with finding the geographical location, the UI works pretty well for that, just navigating that large list is annoying, though it obviously works.

mrvn wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:44 pm
I'm using icons for many stops now. Which makes searching even more of a problem. Often I simply go into map mode, search for the station I want to copy the name from, open it and use ctrl-c to copy the name.
In those case you could also Shift right click from the map view and shift left click to where you are, i use that to copy the colors and the name at the same time, then I edit the name.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:19 pm
The suggestion proposed would also help in those case viewtopic.php?f=18&t=72029.

gHoST INFERNO wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 pm

mrvn wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:44 pm
In those case you could also Shift right click from the map view and shift left click to where you are, i use that to copy the colors and the name at the same time, then I edit the name.
If you zoom in far enough and have radar coverage. :(

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

That is true ! I took the habit of covering my rails with radars when i started because of the numerous deadlock that ooccured :D i should stop now, it doesn't happens anymore and on huge railword map you may not bother ,and would benefit from the suggestion !

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”