Confirmation dialog when overwriting a different world save

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Confirmation dialog when overwriting a different world save

Post by Zaflis »

The problem is that people, me included just now, sometimes overwrite a playthrough A save with playthrough B. You are left with hopes that autosaves still have a trace left or all will be lost. If you just now played the world for an hour, chances are big that no autosaves exist anymore of the other playthrough. Why do we have only 3 autosaves?

So how do we fix this? Wouldn't it be convenient if every save had a unique number that no other save has, game would read the header of the old file and compare it to currently ongoing game's number. If they don't match, you'd get something like: "WARNING! You are attempting to overwrite a save that seems different! Are you sure?".

Now... It's complicated. I don't believe saves have that number, and even if you compare just seeds, 2 saves can have same one. If you are willing to add such number, everything would get simple. Now you would have to compare multiple things to know if it's unique, and even then you aren't 100% sure. There are clues:
- Exchange string includes seed and worldgen settings. The primary condition. People can still play with same one to see if they can do better, or just do it differently.
- If time played on the save is significantly different, say 10h vs 50h. What is a good margin you ask... How long sessions players do inbetween manual saves at longest? Shall we say noone will play 40 hours straight without saving? The question could then be different, indicating the time difference alone.
- If you still haven't found any differences between saves, compare production or pollution graphs at certain time intervals. Do they match at all?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Confirmation dialog when overwriting a different world save

Post by Koub »

You might want to have a look at these topics :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51306
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61025
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50342
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12733
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21363
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17121
(Also, there are links in my post on the first thread I have linked, also relevant).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”