Completly customizable GUI (with examples)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Completly customizable GUI (with examples)

Post by Nic »

I always had this idea in mind while playing other games - no matter if they were sandbox games or shooters.

Sadly the games always were already finnished or so close to completion that this idea was never added to the games.

I am talking about a fully customizable GUI like it was recently introduced with the game "Life is Feudal: Your Own" where you can rearrange every element of the GUI.

Right click and open in a new tab
Example for customized GUI with rescaled and rotated elements - elements got "snapped" to the edge of the screen
Example for customized GUI with rescaled and rotated elements - elements got "snapped" to the edge of the screen
GUI_2.jpg (262.31 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
Right click and open in a new tab
Example for customized GUI with rescaled elements - elements got "snapped" to the edge of the screen
Example for customized GUI with rescaled elements - elements got "snapped" to the edge of the screen
GUI_1.jpg (264.76 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
It is a good step in the right direction but I think the developers of Factorio can take this to a whole new level (since they are the most skilled indie devs I have ever seen - yes I am a fan :D ).

Let's say for example I prefer to have my tool belt in the bottom left corner and the minimap in the right - or even having the toolbelt vertically on the right side of the screen (like I have my taskbar on my computer).
You should be able to snap the elements in place (left, middle, right, next to another element, on top of another element) and place them completly free (move the inventory to the side so you can still see the char or let the minimap hover with a little offset in te right hand top corner).
Also the GUI elements should be scalable in my opinion - which would solve the problem of having a too small GUI when playing in higher resolutions than 1920x1080.

I have attached two exaples you can take a look at.

-Nic
Last edited by Nic on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Completly customizable GUI (with examples)

Post by Nic »

I just encountered another problem some people have when playing the game in way smaller resolutions than 1920x1080 - for them some elements of the GUI just get too big (since the GUI does not resize automatically with the game).
Those players would benefit from this idea, too since they could also scale down all the elements (I am also talking about the inventory screen and the window you get when opening buildings and chests).

Another great addition would be that windows would remember their position, even if they are windows which are only there when you open something (you can move them around at the moment by clicking the top edge and dragging them).
If I prefer to have my inventory window slightly moved to the left it would be great if it would be there every time I open it.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

I would agree with this, my screen is a fair bit small (right now I'm using two monitors) but here are some screenshots from my computer.
Turret Info
Logistics Info
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

vzybilly wrote:I would agree with this, my screen is a fair bit small (right now I'm using two monitors) but here are some screenshots from my computer.
Turret Info
Logistics Info
You can not yet drag around GUI elements, but there is a scale option in the menu now :)

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

I turned it off for the screenshots but I run it around 75% but that started to make some stuff hard to see...
some times it even needs to be smaller >.>
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”