Individual tread control option for tank driving

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Individual tread control option for tank driving

Post by Theikkru »

TL;DR:
Control the tank treads with separate forward/reverse controls (e.g. WSED) instead of WASD

Say what?:
Provide optional hotkey mappings for forward and reverse acceleration of the left and right tank treads separately (4 total)

Why in the name of all that's Factorio:
In short, 2 main reasons that boil down to ① the current WASD is confusing and unintuitive because it behaves differently from the same on the car (or pretty much any other vehicle anywhere), and ② it's more realistic (and in this case that's good).

I've been playing Factorio long enough that I've grown used to all the controls, with the sole exception of the tank, despite frequent use of it. This is because when backing up, the A and D keys turn in the opposite direction from what one would expect in any other vehicle. I understand this to be due to control consistency and the fact that tanks can turn while stationary, i.e. in order for the turning keys to turn the same way moving forward, while stationary and in reverse.
However, even with this understanding, I just cannot reconcile that turning while in reverse just feels all wrong, and, after a long period of thinking about my turn direction in an attempt to train my mind to the controls (and crashing into a lot of machinery), I've noticed myself instead developing an aversion to turning at all while in reverse. This is bad.

I spent some time mulling over possible solutions to the problem, with the conviction that real tanks cannot possibly use controls so awkward (some Googling proved said conviction valid), and realized that everything would feel so much better if the tank controls simply abandoned any attempt at consistency with other movement and used controls that actually felt like a proper tank!
It so happens, in fact, that overriding the E key (and perhaps shunting it to the A key) would actually prove useful, since one of the worst things that can happen while bearing down on a large biter infestation is for a slip of the finger to cause that infernal UI to open up and block everything! After all, we already have plenty of hotbars for item access in a pinch, and combat-relevant ones are few and far between compared to factory-relevant ones.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”