Ability to mark a station as mandatory in a schedule

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Chao
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Ability to mark a station as mandatory in a schedule

Post by Chao »

TL;DR
If the next station in a schedule is marked as mandatory and no such station is available then the train will not leave its current station.

What ?
Currently if I have a schedule that is A -> B -> C, if there is no available station B then the train will just alternate between A and C, but if B is required for the rest of the journey to make sense the train is just wasting fuel.

Why ?
This enables having long term train storage yards. I might have routes that I rarely want running, or long routes that require an initial supply stop to be ready. I might have set ups that work when throughput is constant but if I'm in a period of expansion my needs for ore might be higher than my supply, if all my mining outposts are off but my smelting areas are on the only set up that works is that my fueling is part of my smelting area and trains wait in unloading stations, rather than being able to have holding and refuelling areas as an option.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ability to mark a station as mandatory in a schedule

Post by FuryoftheStars »

This would be nice to have!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Currently, you can implement this in vanilla by using a dummy stop of the same name. Put it just outside the stacker and behind a dozen circuit-closed rail signals. Make sure only chain signals are between the stacker track and the first closed dummy signal.

When a train has no other option, it will route to the dummy, but won't be able to leave the chain signal at the exit to its stacker track. As soon as another station enables, the train will repath to the new one, because the dozen closed signals add a huge path penalty and the new stop will seem closed.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Introducing the suggested feature would only solve the specific problem that OP describes. I think it would be better if a more flexible dynamic train schedule were introduced, which would solve a much larger variety of problems. This has been discussed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64362 Dynamic train schedule

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tekky wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:42 pm
Introducing the suggested feature would only solve the specific problem that OP describes. I think it would be better if a more flexible dynamic train schedule were introduced, which would solve a much larger variety of problems. This has been discussed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64362 Dynamic train schedule
I think both are slighty different requests, but I would love to see both put in.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”