More robust/precise lamp coloration behavior

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

More robust/precise lamp coloration behavior

Post by Theikkru »

TL;DR: When lamps receive multiple color signals, they seem to pick one arbitrarily (or by some method opaque to me) and ignore all other color signals. I would REALLY like built-in behavior that either
① represents all received color signals somehow or
② chooses colors in a manner more controllable by the player

WHY: As a devout practitioner of train safety (no deaths yet!) I install speakers and lamps along my tracks to alert me when trains are moving (or about to move). My train lines are color-coded, and the lamps on my track receive color signals to let me see exactly which train line or lines is/are on their way. However, the current behavior means that if multiple trains are active, I can only discern one of them, because all my lights will light up the same color, even if they are being triggered by different signals! I know that I could jury-rig isolating combinators to each of my lamps, but that would take a lot of time and resources on top of having to include individual lamps for each line color, and I keep wondering why lamps don't react more reasonably to multiple color signals.
Example screenshot, note presence of cyan signal on lines
Proposals:
① The Druther: Have the lamps cycle through any color signals received on a fixed cycle (e.g. every ½ second). This would greatly simplify a lot of systems involving colored lamps, as well as provide clear indication of the multiple signals. Currently the only way to pull this off is with rather large, monolithic control circuits and timing belts that occupy a lot of signals on the network and/or don't scale easily, which isn't very practical for a train system that requires updates and expansions frequently. This solution probably suffers from being the more difficult to implement.

② Simple but elegant: Change lamp behavior such that if a lamp uses a color signal for its condition (and it is set to use colors), it will only light up that color. Less flexible, but controlled and consistent.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”