Train Color Selection UI Suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Glacture
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Color Selection UI Suggestions

Post by Glacture »

TL;DR
In 0.17.x, train locomotive and train station color selection using a pre-determined RGB value is painful to enter.
Quality of Life suggestion is to add the ability to tab between the RGB fields when entering values
Feature Improvement suggestion is to allow for hex triplet values to be entered

What ?
RGB Field Tabbing
I like to use suggested locomotive colors based on cargo. However, when attempting to enter these values, it feels slightly cumbersome having to use the mouse to switch between the RGB fields to enter each value. It would be easier if we could tab between the fields to enter the values without needing to use the mouse.

For example, entering the suggested value for iron ore (0, 140, 255) would be
<double click R value> (causes the default value of 242 to zero out), <tab>, 140, <tab>, 255, <enter>

Hex Triplet Values
Taking this a step further, I could see having train colors saved in a hex triplet value format that would make it easier to copy and paste the values, rather than needing to enter 3 separate values each time. With hex triplet being another format to represent RGB values, I am hoping this might be pretty easy to implement.
Train station with suggested hex value
Train station with suggested hex value
factorio_train_hex.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Locomotive with suggested hex value
Locomotive with suggested hex value
factorio_locomotive_hex.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Why ?
These are mostly just quality of life improvement requests that can save some time and help reduce subtle frustrations I have when trying to use the train color UIs.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train Color Selection UI Suggestions

Post by Koub »

Glacture wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Quality of Life suggestion is to add the ability to tab between the RGB fields when entering values
Ability to tab between textfields is such a nice feature to have, it would be a shame to use it only on train RGB interface. It should be made possible everywhere it makes sense. :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”