Industrial imagery I'd like to see in Vanilla Factorio

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

azurill_used_splash
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Industrial imagery I'd like to see in Vanilla Factorio

Post by azurill_used_splash »

Before I start, I want to give mad props to Factorio's art team for designing imagery that has, at once, a 'zeerust' sci-fi vibe, and is still wonderfully evocative of modern industrial fixtures. I live in the 'High Plans' region of West Texas, which is oil and natural gas country. Factorio pumpjacks are *perfect*. I happened to be on a drive to some outlying towns yesterday and saw hundreds of these in RL. While horrific for the environment, I'd be lying if I said that seeing these in action wasn't soothing. They've been a fixture of my mental world since I was a very small child. LIkewise, Oil Refineries are so close to *just* right that they're beautiful to me. Those burn-off flames are a vivid image from my childhood.

Personally, I'm quite glad that we're moving away from petroleum to renewables and solar, but seeing these in game makes me happy.

It occurs that while most industrial imagery would be the same, globally, some would vary from region to region simply by reason of available supplies, resources, or other reasons. There are a few pieces of industrial imagery that I feel are missing from Factorio. Either by regional differences or artistic choice, I feel the game could benefit from including imagery like the following.

The first are wind turbines.

These are a more recent sight in my area and are beautiful in their own right, completely aside from the renewable energy they represent. I love being on a long car trip and seeing thousands of these guys slowly turning in the air. Magnificent!

Microwave and Radio towers

The Beacon doesn't really catch this kind of display. You get that it's a transmitter, but the directional cones and whatnot are completely missing. There could be a lot more done with this imagery.

Tower lights

Probably one of the most formative images from my childhood are the bright red signal lights on any kind of tower that serve as warning to low-flying aircraft and other airborne people. Of course we're on an alien planet with apparently no civilization, but this omission is jarring enough for me that I notice it every time the day/night period cycles. It would make sense to me have some kind of option for tower lights on all the 'tall' structures in game, like the various turbines, the nuclear reactor, the steel power poles, the refinery, and others. This kind of purely decorative lighting *does* exist on the rail stops, but I'd certainly like to see more of it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”