Hide-able render layers

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kavukamari
Inserter
Inserter

Hide-able render layers

Post by Kavukamari »

If any of you have played Roller Coaster Tycoon, you'll understand this suggestion.

I would appreciate the ability to have a menu which would hide different aspects of the game to make other parts more visible. In RCT, you can hide props, paths, trees, rides, and many other things separately so that you can see what you are doing. In Factorio, it would be useful to have different layers, for example, for wires (including both electrical wires and logistics wires), trees, resources, buildings, enemy bases, smoke billows/sky clouds, robots, and a few others that Anyone could think of, especially if more layers are added to the future game, so that when we are building and planning, we can see behind these things temporarily while we work and not be distracted by them. The objects would still be there, but the player just wouldn't see them until they turn them back on again.

We could have a little eyeball icon just like in RCT that would drop down a list of layers to click on.

Perhaps clicking once on the layer would make it semi-transparent, a second time would make it completely invisible, and a third time would re-show it. And there could also be a button to re-show all layers so that you don't have to click every one all over again to show them again

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hide-able render layers

Post by bobingabout »

Another one famous for doing that, Transport Tycoon deluxe (or at least OpenTTD). Also, it didn't actully turn them off, just set the alpha to about 10%, so they were still there, just barely a ghost image.

I think the most useful thing for this in Factorio would be to make trees invisible, to see what ores are under them, but other features would be good too, like being able to hide those drones. if you set up a big job, those drone swarms obstructing your view can be quite annoying.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

ssilk wrote:Big thing.

Some pages I found searching for layer:

Enjoy reading. :)
You forgot mine!

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=1870

Well, it is sort of related.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Indeed... Another reason to use the right words in posts, cause it isn't found anymore. :lol:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”