Modular Interface Scaling Options

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Modular Interface Scaling Options

Post by Reika »

I have motor control issues that make "aiming" the cursor difficult, and for this reason I always scale up the GUI sizes in games which support it. Having done this with Factorio (150% setting), I noticed that interface windows, such as the right-hand info panel, are likely to go off the screen. I detailed that here and was told that higher interface scales are only supported by ultra-high-resolution monitors (at least apparently higher than my still-recognized-as-HD 1920x1080).

Given that a larger monitor would not help my issues anyways (no matter the resolution, a given GUI element can take up at most X% of the screen, with X being constant), another solution occurred to me: Modular interface scaling.

The simpler interpretation of that would be on a "window" by window basis, i.e. scaling the inventory, "interaction GUIs" (assembler, boiler, turret, etc GUIs), right-hand panel, tech screen, etc independently. A more complex but possibly easier to implement version would be scaling by element type, i.e. button vs text vs textbox vs slider etc.

Either way, this is a more reliable fix because my issues are not with reading small text - my vision is fine - but with accurately manipulating GUIs with small "hit zones" for buttons or sliders. Scaling just the problem GUIs up and not affecting things like the right-hand panel (which never has "interactable" elements) would meet my needs and not introduce the problem of that panel going off-screen.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Modular Interface Scaling Options

Post by Darinth »

+1 This seems like a reasonable request to accomodate individuals with various disabilities. This, or some other method of dealing with the needs of individuals who need larger text and/or gui elements without those guis going off screen and thus becoming unusable.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”