Coal and coal powered drills - inserter behaviour

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Coal and coal powered drills - inserter behaviour

Post by Albrat »

TL;DR
Make inserters only remove above 5 of item in "consumable" slots.
WHAT ?

:: Suggestion ::

Make inserters remove coal from a "burner" miner only if the stack is above the "minimum" stocking value for the miner. 5 coal is the normal minimum. -- I placed two inserters, one removing and one inserting. This basically put the coal in a loop on the belt, untill there were 5 coal inside the inserter and it stopped trying to re-insert the extra piece. But it would cause a UPS problem over time. ( better to just not allow the inserter to remove from a stack < 5 )

NB : this is very early game and I have no research yet so no access to circuit networks etc. (hence using burner miners.)
WHY ?

With 0.17 just releasing I decided to make a new game. Complete blank slate.

I have just started out and made a burner miner "loop" for the coal mining. I wanted to remove coal from this loop so I placed a burner inserter that would remove coal from the burner miner. This creates a problem that the inserter will remove all the coal before the miner can consume it. (violating the 5 stack minimum that burner inserters usually maintain inside an inventory.)

Edited to match Suggestion Template, because the second I got here I forgot about the template layout completely. :P

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Coal and coal powered drills - inserter behaviour

Post by Darinth »

I don't think anything in factorio utilizes this rule. While emptying, all of the inserters will always pull until what they're pulling from is empty. They won't overfill an inventory, but they always completely empty it. Where in factorio do inserters actually refuse to empty an inventory?

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

I didn't even realize inserters could pull from burner drills, that is definitely not the normal use case. If the drill is outputting automatically, either onto a belt or into some inventory, this won't happen, as it never outputs its fuel stack.
burner-drill.png
burner-drill.png (220.77 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Darinth wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:26 pm
Where in factorio do inserters actually refuse to empty an inventory?
They don't remove the fuel stack from furnaces.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, while not exactly the same, see also how Inserter Fuel Leech does it :
 Inserters leech from other fuel inventories if their fuel inventory is empty or the fuel inventory of the drop target
 contains less than 5 items (5 also is the vanilla count of fuel items, that are put in burners by default when
 fuelling from a belt).
----
Albrat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm
[I have just started out and made a burner miner "loop" for the coal mining. I wanted to remove coal from this loop so I placed a burner inserter that would remove coal from the burner miner. This creates a problem that the inserter will remove all the coal before the miner can consume it. (violating the 5 stack minimum that burner inserters usually maintain inside an inventory.)
Why not do something like this though ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Albrat »

that is a nice idea. It is just that I realised that you could extract the contents of a burner miner using an inserter. it is sort of a bug i guess...

I have the miners setup to feed each other in loop back using a burner inserter to remove the excess... But now i am already into the electric miners. I generally only use 3 burner miners to get to the steam engines and electric stage.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

SyncViews wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:33 pm
They don't remove the fuel stack from furnaces.
Inserters don't pull fuel from furnaces at all, they pull the smelted product. I'm more asking 'is there anything that an inserter will pull fuel out of that it won't pull all of it?'

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I'd say more a feature than a bug... (It also works for boilers.)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”