[Fixed in 0.17.2] Default shortcuts on french keyboard

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FitzFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Fixed in 0.17.2] Default shortcuts on french keyboard

Post by FitzFitz »

TL;DR
The default shortcut for Undo is CTRL+Z, but Z is also the shortcut for moving upward.
Some other shortcuts are not correct either. Eventhough this release introduced a "key pressed" feature supposed to fix default shortcuts (forgot the name of this feature).
What ?
The default shortcut create a major problem on french keyboard.
I started a new game (free play) on 0.17, and as I was placing the first miners and furnaces random red cross appeared on those entities. This cross is the mark for deconstructing, so marked entities stopped functioning.
These marks appeared when I was putting coal in my furnaces/miners. To do that, I pick a stack of coal in my inventory, then press CTRL, hold right click, and move upward to fill entities from bottom to top.
When doing that I actually press CTRL+Z (CTRL to split the stack, Z to move upward). So it marks for deconstruct the last entity I placed.

The problem is that CTRL+Z is the right shortcut, even with french keyboard. CTRL+C/X/V are in the same place but for a reason CTRL+Z was not mapped to CTRL+W in our standards... So I think the solution would be to use CTRL+W for Undo.

Also, before the update I had to remap as usual. As a french, it is frequent to have to remap W to Z, Q to A, etc...
Now, I don't have to remap ZQSD (WASD) so it's great. But for a reason "Open map" is still placed on my ',' button ('M' in QWERTY).
Why ?
It took me a while to understand what was going on. And I understood it because I was used to the game.
A new (french) player would be very confused as :
- your character doesn't move eventhough you are pressing Z
- deconstruct marks are placed but a new player would have no idea about what this red cross is, comes from, and how to remove it (open blueprint book, place a deconstruct planner in your inventory, link it to your quickbar, use it, shift right click to remove the marks)
- The entity stop working so you may suspect something else (why is it not accepting coal ?? Is this red cross telling me I did something wrong ??)
Last edited by FitzFitz on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

FitzFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Default shortcuts on french keyboard

Post by FitzFitz »

Well... Just saw the patch notes of 0.17.2 and this has been fixed... :roll:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Fixed in 0.17.2] Default shortcuts on french keyboard

Post by BlueTemplar »

Wait, was "M" for map fixed too?

----

Otherwise,
The problem is that CTRL+Z is the right shortcut, even with french keyboard.
I disagree - "most popular" doesn't make it "right".

( BTW, this has been pointed out by the devs themselves in the relevant FFF :
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-259 )
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”