Here's a marketing idea..

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Here's a marketing idea..

Post by jim lee »

So I'm running around my factory trying to solve production problems. "Where the hell did all the copper go?" Then it sudden;y hit me. This is just like America during WWII. The home front. Arsenal of democracy etc. etc. Wouldn't it be kinda fun to release a version set in the 1940s? Change the weapons to guns and bombers, the bugs would be replaced by the "other side". You'd need a complete artwork set..

Robots turn into clerks, netwok into memos. Or maybe telegraph messages?

Thoughts?

-jim lee

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Here's a marketing idea..

Post by Koub »

Could be done my a mod
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

"Other side"?
Bad idea.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

In World War 2, there never were any attacks on American home soil. Therefore, I don't think that replacing bugs with Nazis or Japanese soldiers would be very convincing.

Also, since Factorio is about automation, having automatic factories in the 1940s would also not be very convincing.

Of course, you are welcome to try to make your own mod and see the result for yourself.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Tekky wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:09 pm
In World War 2, there never were any attacks on American home soil. Therefore, I don't think that replacing bugs with Nazis or Japanese soldiers would be very convincing.
Really!? Hawaii and Alaska don't count?

Tekky wrote:
Also, since Factorio is about automation, having automatic factories in the 1940s would also not be very convincing.
We've had automation since Henry Ford did the Model T. That was around WWI.

And by the 30s.. https://youtu.be/G-R01fJiuTg

-jim lee

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

jim lee wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 pm
Tekky wrote:
I barely heard about it, but it was. Mostly about unique Kiska battle.
Do you really think it is appropriate for "survival on enemy land" scenario?
jim lee wrote:
Tekky wrote:

-jim lee
Oh that automation? Do not forget massive amount of cotton/mais/sugar/anything collecting automation.

Sorry if it looks offensive. This marketing is _extremely_ bad in my opinion.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

jim lee wrote:
Tekky wrote:
Nope. Alaska and Hawaii were just a territories. It wasn't for another 15 years or so before they'd be part of America.

EDIT: In correcting your history I flubbed my own. We did in fact own Alaska during WW2, but it still wasn't a state and therefore not really part of the union.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

jim lee wrote:
Tekky wrote:
I guess it depends on how you define home soil. I wouldn't count Hawaii and Alaska as American home soil during World War II, as both of these territories only attained statehood in 1959 (14 years after World War II had ended).

However, my main point is that nearly all of the industry supplying the war was inside the core territory of the United States and nowhere near where the actual war was fought. Therefore, I'm afraid it would not be very convincing to have Nazis or Japanese soldiers attacking American industrial buildings as a Factorio mod.

On the other hand, half of the war was about the Nazis and the Japanese conquering territory containing resources to fight the war. From that point of view, Factorio could be used to represent this.

However, it still may be a bit strange to have Nazis and Japanese soldiers getting pissed off by pollution. ;-) But if you like that idea, feel free to replace the graphics in a mod.

jim lee wrote:
Tekky wrote:

-jim lee
Factorio's level of automation is the highest possible level of automation (no human assistance required). As can be seen in the video you posted, a very significant number of Factorio workers is still required.

However, in your mod, maybe you could get rid of all electrical inserters and replace the graphics of the "burner inserter" with that of a human and make this "human inserter" require food instead of fuel as a consumable resource.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Ok, so since Alaska & Hawaii weren't "officially" American territory during WWII, we can't use America huh? Ok no problem..

Make the guy in the middle of your screen look like Churchill and you can make factories building Spitfires, tanks and Bren Guns. Problem solved! You could call it "Battle of Britain".

Complete with ME110s and BF109s.

You could research radar, long range fighters, heavy bombers, H2O2 Submarines, jet engines and.. The Bomb!

-jim lee

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

jim lee wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 am
Make the guy in the middle of your screen look like Churchill and you can make factories building Spitfires, tanks and Bren Guns. Problem solved!
Oh not again!
Was britain ocupied by nazi? I'm afraid only bombardment with a serious help of one Brown man.
Throw your idea away as a total garbage.
Factorio is about automation, not about people killing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'm not sure this goes anywhere, and this topic takes the route to derailing.
@OP : Feel free to make a mod that replaces vanilla with whatever war's context you want, but we can certainly assume this will never make it into vanilla Factorio.
[Koub]topic locked
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”