Select Starting Biome

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

RinDiddy
Inserter
Inserter

Select Starting Biome

Post by RinDiddy »

How about the ability to select your starting Biome? ( In random map )

Savanna, Mesa, Desert, Plains, Prairie, Canyon, Mountains, etc, etc...

This would be purely cosmetic ( I guess trees would slightly impact the game ). From what I've seen so far the artwork is already available, it would just be a matter of creating another code function for this feature. I've read that the current is based upon some sort of sound wave, which I'd like to add is a clever way to get around the clockwork downfalls of computer generated RNGs.

Yes I am aware of the current frequency/size sliders for particular region effects. What I am proposing would bypass those and just have a dropdown box of Biomes to select from.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Select Starting Biome

Post by Tekky »

Personally, I am in favor of biomes being less cosmetic and having more significance. For example, certain resources should only be found in certain biomes, or at least the probability of finding certain resources should be dependant on biome. This has been discussed in the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3219 Biome resource variation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49048 Global map of the planet

Having the option to select the starting biome might be nice for some people. Especially if every biome had unique gameplay properties (i.e. not just cosmetic), it would add replayability to the game if the starting area was a different biome.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think biomes being a more significant part of the game would be cool
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm
I think biomes being a more significant part of the game would be cool
The problem is that there are only 5 different resources you can distribute over..how many biomes? And you still have to ensure that the game stays playable until early mid-game without any exploration, because before that you have insufficient methods for exploration (cars) or transportation (trains). This isn't minecraft where you can go on an "exploration trip" and come back with 10 stacks of emerald ore. Because 10 stacks won't be enough. And minecraft has way more different types of resources, with only the non-essential ones being biome-dependant. Minecraft biomes are also much smaller than factorio ones. And you often get stuck in a situation where you have to waste several hours exploring becaues the RNG just isn't giving you the right biomes to progress. (And minecraft is the only example for this i can think of.)

As for selecting a starting biome just for the visuals, sure, that sounds nice. But is probably unfeasible with the way the terrain generator works.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Biomes could have an influence on vehicle speed, walking speed (including for biters), pollution absorption, pollution spread, fire spread, ...
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 am
Biomes could have an influence on [...], pollution absorption, pollution spread, fire spread, ...
Already implemented for forests and deserts :mrgreen:
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 am
Koub wrote:
Biomes could have an influence on [...], pollution absorption, pollution spread, fire spread, ...
:mrgreen: Yeah, I know. But I meant each biome could have its own set of features, some advantages and some drawbacks, so that people could choose their preferred according to the playing style they want on a given map.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 am
eradicator wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 am
Koub wrote:
:mrgreen: Yeah, I know. But I meant each biome could have its own set of features, some advantages and some drawbacks, so that people could choose their preferred according to the playing style they want on a given map.
Sure it sounds interesting on paper. But as a mod dev i always go into "but can i think of an interesting way to actually implement it"-mode and i haven't come up with anything great yet. Some minecraft mods use humidity/temperature of biomes to affect different processes, so that certain biomes are better, but they don't block progress entirely (i.e. smelting could be faster or less energy intense in a desert, solars more effective in cold environments, etc), but factorio doesn't have any processes affected like that.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”