[0.16.51] Mod keyboard remaps should be permanent.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lizzy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16.51] Mod keyboard remaps should be permanent.

Post by Lizzy »

Repro steps:

1. Install a mod with keymaps (e.g. update planner)
2. Remap its keys (e.g. change from U to G)
3. Deactivate the mod (say, to load a different game or server)
4. Reactivate the mod

Actual result:

My remap is forgotten.

Expected result:

My remap is permanent. Every time I load that mod, I expect it to stay in the remap I set it.

Keyboard remaps may or may not be the same as the remaining settings for a mod. Mods like bio-industries have tons of other settings, and I never cared about them. Please just remember my keyboard remaps... as a Dvorak user, remapping key bindings is always required for being able to play the game at all.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Mod keyboard remaps should be permanent.

Post by Optera »

By that logic mod settings should be stored infinitly as well.
Removing Mod settings including keymaps when a mod is removed or deactivated seems like the prudent choice here.

What irks me about mod key mappings is how they revert to default when mods or factorio are updated while mod settings are carried over.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Optera wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 am
What irks me about mod key mappings is how they revert to default when mods or factorio are updated while mod settings are carried over.
What? No they aren't. If they where the base game keybindings would reset as well which they don't.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Odd, the keybindings for picker extended always reverted. I kept trying to bind equipment toggles to Fx keys but it kept resetting to Alt+Fx when updating.

Lizzy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lizzy »

Optera wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 am
By that logic mod settings should be stored infinitly as well.
I specifically declared the remaining mod settings as out of scope of this report.

If the devs decide that all those yottabytes of mod settings should be stored infinitely, I do not care. It's explicitly out of scope of the report. Please just fix the key bindings and do whatever else makes sense along with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Mod settings in general are too volatile. Every time you join a server with different settings your own settings are overwritten. There's also no specific way to reset only the settings/hotkeys of a single mod, currently it can be done with disabling, but if you make them stick through disabling (which sounds reasonable) you then need to add a different way to reset them without involuntary resetting stuff for every other mod too.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I agree with the key bindings, they should persist.

Mod settings persisting would have been nice too, back when you could edit them in a .json file, but now that it's a .dat file that stores the raw data, not so much.
The main reason I say this is because if you set up a config that causes a mod to break (which is possible on poorly written mods (I had to change what information my settings were changing to prevent this)) the only way to fix it is to deactivate the mod, then re-activate it to reset the settings to default, or delete the mod-settings.dat file. And that would delete all settings.
If settings persisted between instances, then you'd only have the delete option.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”