Editable signs, labels, and similar.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Editable signs, labels, and similar.

Post by Junion »

The suggestion first..then a long line of reasoning.

We need something that has editable text (similar to train stations and how you can change their names). I'd say around a tweet worth of letters? (140).
Perhaps bigger signs than that as well, but around 140 seems perfectly. Labels would be shorter, as a random guess 70 letters, though I wouldn't know the exact one here, and would appear on the map (like train stops do, heck just remove the train interaction from train stops and use that).

Ok reasoning time.

We have multiplayer coming up soon. I assume we'll have people wanting to do it both in a co-op type mode as well as vs. each other (in some way). Focusing on co-op for now.

We are going to have people making stuff that is...not readily obvious what it does..why it's in use, and what might mess it up. And people need some sort of communication for when one is busy with something in game, and someone else is needs to fool with something they made. Having a sign (maybe a billboard instead of a sign?) seems to be a decent way to do this. The label idea should be obvious, but it allows people to give a 'name' to somewhere when communicating and then say 'go to name' instead of however they might do it.

If you want to see what happens when people are lacking in communication, watch the Hydra Dilemma it'll give you a good idea of what multiple people with little communication between each other may do.

Now why so short for the letters? Why not entire books? Well from the looks of things this is meant to go in the course of 'single games'. Where people get together, agree to play a game, spend, at the most, a days worth of time playing it. Then when they feel like playing again, make a new game and start all over again, think stuff like civilization games, alpha centauri, and similar, not minecraft, or simicity, or other things like that. Long amounts of text isn't really a good idea for such shenanigans. And it would wind up just taking up space in the save file.

Mostly I'm just putting this out there because of the fact multiplayer is comming up soon, and making sure something like this syncs easily between players feels like it'd be something to make sure it in there near the start of multiplayer programming.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Editable signs, labels, and similar.

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”