Cannon turret

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

fac0ri*nut85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannon turret

Post by fac0ri*nut85 »

They should make a stationary cannon turret. Shoots shells like the tank, that would be pretty dope.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cannon turret

Post by bobingabout »

Although this is possible to mod in very easily right now, you have the slight issue that cannon shells are a collision detection projectile, meaning they deal damage to the first thing they hit, including your own walls. so either you'd have to put them outside of your walls, or the walls would be the first things that get destroyed when they fire.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

fac0ri*nut85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fac0ri*nut85 »

Ohh, troo. Good point. Thx for clarifying that. I've been crankin' out ideas right and left. I'll just keep throwing them out there. Happy fourth. :D

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The Rampant mod seems to have solved the issue of projectiles hitting walls or flying right over them. I don't think friendly fire is a huge obstacle for creating new player assets.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

bobingabout wrote:Although this is possible to mod in very easily right now, you have the slight issue that cannon shells are a collision detection projectile, meaning they deal damage to the first thing they hit, including your own walls. so either you'd have to put them outside of your walls, or the walls would be the first things that get destroyed when they fire.
Could you add a minimum range?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Jap2.0 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Although this is possible to mod in very easily right now, you have the slight issue that cannon shells are a collision detection projectile, meaning they deal damage to the first thing they hit, including your own walls. so either you'd have to put them outside of your walls, or the walls would be the first things that get destroyed when they fire.
Could you add a minimum range?
Yes, I have also created a weapon/turret mod that allows for 3 walls between the turret and where the projectile is created for things like cannon turrets.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Veden wrote:Yes, I have also created a weapon/turret mod that allows for 3 walls between the turret and where the projectile is created for things like cannon turrets.
I'm assuming you simply set the projectile_creation_distance to 3.5-ish? Looking at the gun-turrent it looks like the projectile is entirely dependant on the turrent entity and not on the ammunition?
I'm asking because i was just wondering if the system is flexible enough to have staged projectiles, i.e. a projectile that fires a non-colliding projectile that after 30 ticks dies and spawns a colliding projectile with same direction.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

eradicator wrote:
Veden wrote:Yes, I have also created a weapon/turret mod that allows for 3 walls between the turret and where the projectile is created for things like cannon turrets.
I'm assuming you simply set the projectile_creation_distance to 3.5-ish? Looking at the gun-turrent it looks like the projectile is entirely dependant on the turrent entity and not on the ammunition?
I'm asking because i was just wondering if the system is flexible enough to have staged projectiles, i.e. a projectile that fires a non-colliding projectile that after 30 ticks dies and spawns a colliding projectile with same direction.
Correct.

The projectile is tied to ammo.

I would think it is possible, but getting the projectile direction may be challenging.

You could have a fixed distance the projectile will travel and when it hits it max range it calls on_trigger_created_entity at which point you spawn the second stage projectile.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Veden wrote: I would think it is possible, but getting the projectile direction may be challenging.
You could have a fixed distance the projectile will travel and when it hits it max range it calls on_trigger_created_entity at which point you spawn the second stage projectile.
"challenging" is the new impossible :p. I meant without scripts, not that i see a way they would help because:
The main problem i see is that it seems impossible to make an in-air projectile die after a fixed time/distance? Unless you can somehow make a smoke-with-trigger (poison-cloud) move like a projectile.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

eradicator wrote:
Veden wrote: I would think it is possible, but getting the projectile direction may be challenging.
"challenging" is the new impossible :p. I meant without scripts, not that i see a way they would help because:
The main problem i see is that it seems impossible to make an in-air projectile die after a fixed time/distance? Unless you can somehow make a smoke-with-trigger (poison-cloud) move like a projectile.
You can set the attack_parameters to have whatever range you want the turret to shoot at, then configure the ammo to have whatever max range you want the projectile to stop at.

I created a medic turret that looks for enemies within a range of 28 and shoots a projectile with a max range of 0. When the projectile hits it can either call into a script or setup the ammo to create whatever you want. In the instance of the medic turret it creates a healing cloud for player built buildings around the turret.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”