Could the map be rotated?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Deing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Could the map be rotated?

Post by Deing »

TL;DR
Is it possible to make the map itself rotatable so you can view the world from different angles?

What ?
I know that in many games, such as Rim World, rotating the map is not available, but still, some games allow players to do so, like Don't Starve, Planet Base, and Evil Genius.( I'm sure you understand what I mean by "rotating the map", so...no pictures. .. :oops: )
Perhaps it is highly improbable to implement such feature in Factorio, but I'm not sure, so here I am suggesting this idea.
Why ?
Well.. because by rotating the map you could see the back of all those machines? And if you feel your view is being blocked by trees or stuff, you could try another angle and your view is clear.

Maybe not a big deal, but would make Factorio a bit nicer, in my opinion.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Could the map be rotated?

Post by Koub »

No, because there would need to be many more graphics made to accomodate this rotation.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Turn your monitor :P.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Koub wrote:No, because there would need to be many more graphics made to accomodate this rotation.
Some entities already exist in all possible rotations, e.g. biters, players, cars, trains, ...
The main problems are buildings. But, due to the HR graphics update, most entities should already have proper 3D models that could be used. But the renderer would need to be reworked to be capable of 3D rendering which would be nice, but needs way too much effort.

If we limit camera rotation to 90° steps there's a cheap solution that allows keeping the current renderer: Just use the sprite with matching rotation.
The only vanilla entity requiring special treatment in this case is the pumpjack, where the sprite has to be mirrored for 90°- and 270°-rotations. Or, generally speaking, buildings where the connection points after an 90° ingame rotation don't match up with the result of a "real world" rotation.
The only real problem are mods adding non-square non-rotatable buildings (like the old 2x1 laser turrets before 0.12). These need a new "sideways" graphic.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

To my knowledge, now that trains are always constant, there are no objects in the game with different length/width.

If you don't mind entities not apparently rotating when you rotate the map, then I see no reason whatsoever this is not possible.

It will probably be obscenely expensive however do do via mod script, due to the sheer number of objects and tiles that must be moved. Might break a bunch of other stuff, no idea.

If the Devs made it, sure, doubt it would even be hard.

It would only be hard if you inisisted on rotated graphics for every structure. It might look weird, but it wouldn't effect gameplay, and would still give you that new perspective.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

A rotate option could be just the 4 directions so that all sprites could remain the same. In don't starve everything is 2d and rotate with the camera. It could work like that in factorio too.

LukeM
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LukeM »

The Factorio and Don't Starve graphics style is completely different though, so I doubt it would look good here. For example Factorio has shadows which would stay in the same place as you rotated unless there were seperate renders for all 4 directions, which probably wouldn't be worth it.

And don't even suggest making the game 3D, the 3D models are currently very high quality, so probably take hours to render. A normal computer running at 60fps would have no chance XD

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Map rotating isn't terribly difficult if you consider that everything on screen is placed by using an X and Y coordinate. Instead of (X right, Y down) to display normally you display (Y right, X up) to rotate CCW, (X down, Y left) to rotate CW, and (X left, Y up) for a full 180.

Anything less than a full 90 degree turn would be far more difficult to manage. The art in Factorio was not meant to be dislodged from tiles.

Out of all the things with rotating art, only the assembler, rocket silo, biter nests and trees don't have rotations. They would look pretty weird if the screen spun around.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

But rotating the map could help finding the dropped item behind an assembler :D

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Deing »

Nidan wrote:
Koub wrote:No, because there would need to be many more graphics made to accomodate this rotation.
Some entities already exist in all possible rotations, e.g. biters, players, cars, trains, ...
The main problems are buildings. But, due to the HR graphics update, most entities should already have proper 3D models that could be used. But the renderer would need to be reworked to be capable of 3D rendering which would be nice, but needs way too much effort.

If we limit camera rotation to 90° steps there's a cheap solution that allows keeping the current renderer: Just use the sprite with matching rotation.
The only vanilla entity requiring special treatment in this case is the pumpjack, where the sprite has to be mirrored for 90°- and 270°-rotations. Or, generally speaking, buildings where the connection points after an 90° ingame rotation don't match up with the result of a "real world" rotation.
The only real problem are mods adding non-square non-rotatable buildings (like the old 2x1 laser turrets before 0.12). These need a new "sideways" graphic.
This suits my purpose completely. Rotating at any degrees is not necessary, because you would be able to see behind trees and machines to find hidden objects by simply rotating 90°.
When I lay down rails amidst dense forests horizontally, or when I want to place miners on ores which have trees right below them, it could be very hard to see and select the correct objects with trees blocking the view. If the map could be rotated 90 degrees, the view would be much clearer.
this miner has trees below and it's blocked from view

this miner has trees on the right, and it's easy to see it clearly

some machines hides objects behind them, too, but it's not a big deal compared to trees.

I do hope maps could be rotated 90° in the future.
Hello Guys!
This is a placeholder....

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”