Improve Map View (Search and Remote Logistic changes)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

melind
Inserter
Inserter

Improve Map View (Search and Remote Logistic changes)

Post by melind »

TL;DR
From the map view, make it easier to find things things in the world, and allow remote logistics changes.

What ?
1. I want to make it easier to find specific entities or types of entities. For example I'd really like to be able to have the map view highlight all radars that have been placed. Maybe highlight walls, or miners, or gun turrets.
2. I want to be able to modify logistics box settings remotely.
Why ?
Apologies for including two suggestions, but I frequently run into both of these once bases get to a certain size and I find I'm almost entirely building and managing the my bases from map view.

First is when trying to clean up sections of the map. Either removing old walls/turrets, removing unused mining outposts, determining if you have necessary radar coverage. There is not great ways to 'at a glance' figure what things you have actually placed in the world (well, other then the power grid, the power grid is great). I've taken to leaving my self notes on the map for what I've been working on and where, but this isn't a great solution most of the time.

The second is I often need to make small changes logistics settings from across the map (for example, add a request order to a requester box). We should really be able to modify the logistics setting for any box/inserter/entity we have visibility for. Oddly enough, this particular behavior already has a workaround which just highlights the gap to me. For example, it is possible to change logistics settings by placing the same type of item next to me, fixing the setting on the item, then grabbing an blueprint of the setting I want to redeploy over the original item.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Improve Map View

Post by dog80 »

also show bots on map :P

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

dog80 wrote:also show bots on map :P
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Visible_Bots

The Interaction with chests and other entities was removed again recently.

I also vote for reenabling it.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Hedning1390
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hedning1390 »

There is a workaround for interacting with chests remotely (deconstructing, making a local blureprint and constructing that). This feels a bit contrived so I think enabling direct editing makes sense.

As for searching and highlighting entities I'm not so sure. Where would such a search field be put in so it's not in the way for someone who rarely or never uses it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”