Autosave: Set location?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Autosave: Set location?

Post by Aeternus »

Can the location for Factorio's autosaves be configured? I cannot find an option for it anywhere in the game options.

Reason: I've got an SSD for gaming and applications that need to rapidly launch, but most of my data, including my user profile, is configured on a mirrored RAID drive which is a lot slower. Autosaves become annoying interruptions as the size of your factory goes up to megabase levels. A 5 second freeze every 5 minutes isn't nice. I'm pretty sure that if I migrate the saves to my SSD it'll be a lot quicker.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Autosave: Set location?

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm fairly certain you can, but all your saves must be in the same place.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you don't mind losing the Steam integration, a simple solution is to use the .zip version. That version stores the saves etc inside its directory. So just extra factorio into a directory on your SSD.

Otherwise read config-path.cfg and config.ini. (I've never actually experimented with changing those values. There is also a possibility that they will get reset if the devs need to reset everyone's configs to default values, or you verify the games files in Steam).

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I am not using the steam version, got the game through a humble bundle a while back (I think). The zip version stores the saves in the windows user pofile, at least by default.
I'll look in the config files and see if there's an option there.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

By default the .zip version definitely stores save games inside whatever the directory you create when you unpack the zip. (I know, because I normally use the .zip version. It makes keeping multiple saves with different mod packs easier). Maybe you are using the .exe version? I believe that does a proper install, and uses the windows user profile.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

AFAIK, the only option you have of where save games are saved at all is either in your user profile (Which steam forces you to use), or in the install directory.

It would be awesome if you could actually have folders inside your save folder, but, you can't.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I use Junctions or hard links to move things like this off my SSD's to another hard drive. You can either use the mklink in a command prompt window or add the following to allow you to do this in File Manager. http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html
Basically you move the folder you want to another drive, and create a junction in it's place that links to the new location.

MTyne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Separate autosave location

Post by MTyne »

Please let me change the autosave location separately from the normal save location. I like to play on different devices trough steam, but and like having many (many..) autosave slots. What I don't like is up/downloading a 4 GB steam cloudsync every time Launch or close factorio. Autosaves are not really needed when changing between devices, so it would be really nice if I could move them out of Factorio/saves/ folder while keeping the rest of my saved games there.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Separate autosave location

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Pretty much a dup of: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42161

Related (same request for different reason): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59775
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged together
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”