Hotkey to replace existing structures with blueprint

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Hotkey to replace existing structures with blueprint

Post by IronCartographer »

tl;dr: Make a second hotkey to force blueprint placement (like Shift-Left mouse button), marking buildings for deconstruction in addition to trees and rocks.

Candidate keybinds:
  • Shift-Right mouse button (Probably too easy to mis-click, but neatly combines "Right click to mine/remove" with "Shift to force blueprint placement")
  • Ctrl-Shift-Click (Uses an extra modifier key for safety, while still being convenient)
Why? To use a new blueprint that requires not only in-place upgrades, but replacements with different entities entirely, with efficient auto-deconstruction of only conflicting entities.

The behavior is effectively a spatially-filtered deconstruction planner, marking old structures for replacement if they block the new blueprint while ignoring things that can stay. 8-)

This would enable vanilla Upgrade Planner (though not Builder) behavior if combined with a UI that upgrades the blueprints themselves (like Autotorio's Upgrade Blueprint option).

Aside: Currently in the hotkey menu "Build ghost" is the English label for the "Shift-Left mouse button" hotkey responsible for placing an entity as a ghost, which makes sense, but leaves out the "Force Blueprint Placement" and "Ignore Trees/Rocks" behaviors. Discoverability might benefit from additional description here. :)

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Hotkey to replace existing structures with blueprint

Post by Ardagan »

I'll revive and +1 this. (The only relevant thread I managed to find via search)

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

It's often required for placing main bus splitting blueprint.
Also for copy-pasting.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Really. I want the blueprint exactly here.

Post by Darinth »

Can we have some method of telling factorio to remove *everything*, including your own structures, that are in the way of a blueprint? Say maybe Shift+Ctrl?

Often times, especially when dealing with belt lines, I want to replace everything that is in the way of a blueprint in order to get it down. The simplest example is probably something along these lines:
3x5 IO lane balancer.PNG
3x5 IO lane balancer.PNG (27.57 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
I can basically delete 5 belts and place that down to create a lane balancer. But right now, I have to first manually use a deconstruction planner to remove those belts. In this particular case, it's not a huge deal because it's generally pretty obvious what I need to deconstruct first... it gets a lot more difficult when I'm doing things like placing down a draw from the main bus and having to double-check back and forth between the blueprint to make sure I got everything before I can place it. Having something that says 'I really do want this down here, remove anything you have to' would be a godsend.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Stumbled across this thread while searching for another. Same idea as in my thread here. Should probably be merged. Also increases visibility. <3

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Indeed, merged into the older topic
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ingvar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ingvar »

I would really like to see this feature implemented.

I like the idea of Ctrl-Shift-Left to replace all objects which are in the way, and perhaps place landfill if necessary.

I have a blueprint of a compact base I use in multiple saves. When I make changes in one save it would be nice to transfer these changes to another save easily without marking thousands of objects, thousands of chests and millions of items in them for deletion.

What makes it even worse is that replacing a blueprint over an object which is marked for deletion with an identical object will not cancel the deletion mark (red X). So if the blueprint has 100 items in it, and 1 item is changed, all 100 would be swapped.
In my case, with a massive blueprint, this is not doable.

Another neat but more complicated way to deal with the problem (but more powerful) would be to have another "layer" in the blueprint where an area can be marked for "identical-check". One would check a box to edit this layer, which is just a bit-mask, similar to placing tiles. When the blueprint is placed, wherever this layer is marked the existing objects will be deleted if they are not identical to the ones in the blueprint - and importantly removed if none exists in the blueprint. This feature of removing items would be very nice when old objects can cause problems, such as train signals.
Example: You are running a train configuration of 1 locomotive and 3 wagons. You have train signals long enough for "4-trains". You decide to change to a 2+8 train (or whatever), and you could then have a track bluepring which removes old signals. The tracks would possibly remain in place, but the signals would be removed/adjusted.

D3viant.S4ge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by D3viant.S4ge »

+1, I can't find any mod that does this either. It's annoying to have to always replace belts with splitters manually. This would also help make multiple blueprints with different overlapping elements more composible.

FritzHugo3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

I wish me this too.

There are a workaround with first all delete with the destroy pla and than the blueprint but in this time the robots have began and destroy it. So its not realy a good way.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Allow me to also point to a very similar suggestion (focusing on only upgrading the fast replaceable entities). I won't merge both because they are still different.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80563
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Also somewhat related is some of the behavior in this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostBuster

I am unsure at this time whether such changes would be universally beneficial or potentially cause problems, however.

maxp779
Inserter
Inserter

Post by maxp779 »

This would be a helpful feature!

deimosian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by deimosian »

This is a must have quality of life improvement for working with blueprints.

SpeckledFleebeedoo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SpeckledFleebeedoo »

This would be very helpful in 1.1. Have normal and shift-place stay the same as in 1.0, and add an extra modifier key for overriding current ghosts with new roations or upgrades.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

SpeckledFleebeedoo wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 pm
This would be very helpful in 1.1. Have normal and shift-place stay the same as in 1.0, and add an extra modifier key for overriding current ghosts with new roations or upgrades.
That's an argument for ctrl-shift rather than shift-right click; it would be a more forceful placement rather than simply deconstructing incompatible structures.

Moving the 1.1 changes (seamlessly upgrading/rotating with a new blueprint) into an override-player-structures modifier like this would preserve the ability to place blueprints that overlap belts when you want the old behavior of not changing existing belts.

In short: 1.1 actually removed functionality, but requiring a new hotkey for the new behavior would be distinct, consistent, and entirely additive.

Edit: Nevermind, blueprints do not allow the shift-click overriding/upgrading behavior added in 1.1 so far only for single items/entities. There is no "loss" as described...but the opportunity for improvement remains! :)
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingvar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ingvar »

Please implement some way to (re-)place blueprints over existing structures and ghosts with a hotkey, causing old ones to be removed or marked for removal.

19wolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 19wolf »

This. I'm trying to build modular rail blueprints but when I place my 3-way on top of my 2-way, I need to replace the regular signals with chain signals.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”