Make taskbar button blink on events (eg. research complete)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rainbow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make taskbar button blink on events (eg. research complete)

Post by rainbow »

TL;DR
It would be cool if the taskbar button could blink on certain events, such as when research is complete, when the player is killed, or when a chat message is received.

What ?
Most operating systems and desktop environments allow to get a notification from an application when an event occurs. For example, on Windows and some Linux DEs, the task bar blinks, on Mac OS the dock icon bounces. Some other games (for instance, World of Warcraft) use this feature to notify the player when something occurs to the player in the game when the game is not in focus (eg. minimized). Factorio could do that as well.

I'm not really capable of recording such flashing myself, but this gif should illustrate it well enough:

Why ?
Sometimes I have the game minimized (for instance to find some blueprints on the internet, browse the forums or Reddit, chat with someone, etc) and have the sound disabled. This makes it difficult to know when research is complete and I want to start new research, or when someone in game sends a chat message. Adding such a taskbar notification would make this easier.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make taskbar button blink on events (eg. research complete)

Post by Engimage »

I would extend your idea.
You might add such functionality to any alerts in the game and also assign blink color (you can do that too!)
So research could blink green, yellow alerts could blink yellow and red apparently red. Screen red tint when recieving damage could also blink red.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”