Better train control

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Better train control

Post by rldml »

rampelstinskin wrote: Same as my first suggestion.
I just wanted to show, that there are a lot of whishes to make trains more dynamic - different people have different ideas how to do this and i am perfectly fine with this.
rldml wrote: This should be possible within the existing API. If there is anyone smarter person out there, feel free to steal this idea ;)
Do you realize talking about train controller?
No, i did'nt realize earlier, but after a short visit to the mod-page of train controller, this mod are the first step to the thing i have in my mind and a viable solution for the main problem i had. I will take a closer look to this addon after i return from my vacation.

Greetings Ronny

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

rldml wrote: No, i did'nt realize earlier, but after a short visit to the mod-page of train controller, this mod are the first step to the thing i have in my mind and a viable solution for the main problem i had. I will take a closer look to this addon after i return from my vacation.
No. I talk about my suggestion in first message in this conversation. Which you obviously did not read.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

rampelstinskin wrote:
rldml wrote: No, i did'nt realize earlier, but after a short visit to the mod-page of train controller, this mod are the first step to the thing i have in my mind and a viable solution for the main problem i had. I will take a closer look to this addon after i return from my vacation.
No. I talk about my suggestion in first message in this conversation. Which you obviously did not read.
Hey guy, there is no need to be rude. I'm just a human after all...

I've read your suggestion, but you want far more than i want for the base game. I strongly believe, that we only need a way to send schedules via circuit networks to trains, because everything else you want to have can already be done with the help of curcuit network logic. This is the part i would stick the tag "quality-of-life"-feature to it and that's a very good reason to leave the task to an addon like LTN or SmarterTrains. If there is a way to implement only the schedule-over-circuit-network-part with the help of an addon, i will be totally fine to install this addon and leave the base game as it is now.

I just wanted to say "thank you", because everyone else in this forum seems only to advise for LTN, which i don't want for some reason (it does simply to much, i want to regulate that stuff by myself with curcuit network). Train controller might be the addon i want from the start to get what i want, so you possibly save a lot of my spare time. Thank you for this :)

Greetings Ronny

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

rldml wrote: Hey guy, there is no need to be rude. I'm just a human after all...
Not as rude as people who answer before they read. This behavior leads to pointless flood and flame. Like it happening here.
This is why this behavior must be terminated ASAP.
rldml wrote: I've read your suggestion, but you want far more than i want for the base game. I strongly believe, that we only need a way to send schedules via circuit networks to trains, because everything else you want to have can already be done with the help of curcuit network logic.
I am tired to repeat this:
It is true. In theory.
But it ridiculously hard.
It like writing programs for Turing machine. In theory it can do everything but in practice it very hard to make it to do anything useful.
rldml wrote: I just wanted to say "thank you", because everyone else in this forum seems only to advise for LTN, which i don't want for some reason (it does simply to much, i want to regulate that stuff by myself with curcuit network).
Every single one of my suggestions is completely optional and do not affect base game if you don't use them.
Moreover they allow gradual and easy progression from basic schedule to much more sophisticated train control than LTN.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:But it ridiculously hard.
For you.

Outpost is full of waiting trains? Toggle the station off. New trains don't go there. It's literally not rocket science.

I'm not saying that the train interface shouldn't change, but it's interesting how many people post threads demanding easy point'n'click solutions to things you can already do with combinators.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I made a suggestion some time ago to easily improve the situation
Train pathfinding on stations with same name

Also have to admit that train depot does not work on big networks and starts to clog. The point is that you literally force all your train pass through a single station no matter the size.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

PacifyerGrey wrote:I made a suggestion some time ago to easily improve the situation
Train pathfinding on stations with same name

Also have to admit that train depot does not work on big networks and starts to clog. The point is that you literally force all your train pass through a single station no matter the size.
Solution: don't do that.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Deadlock989 wrote:
rampelstinskin wrote:But it ridiculously hard.
For you.

Outpost is full of waiting trains? Toggle the station off. New trains don't go there. It's literally not rocket science.

I'm not saying that the train interface shouldn't change, but it's interesting how many people post threads demanding easy point'n'click solutions to things you can already do with combinators.
The problem is when you have a several 1000 Science/minute town based factory. You need several trains on the way to the trainstation to cover the huge demand over long distances. Then having several train-stations with the same name and toggle station on/off strategy breaks down. It's because the problem first comes up on big factories I think the solution should be hard to solve. I have to little experience with combinators to tell if it will get to hard with some sort of a train schedule combinator.

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

Deadlock989 wrote: For you.
You know nothing about me.
Deadlock989 wrote: Outpost is full of waiting trains? Toggle the station off. New trains don't go there. It's literally not rocket science.
1)You obviously did not read conversation. Because you don know what we talking about. We talk about overriding train schedule with different schedule.
2)You don't understand how disabled train stations behave. No train will go to it. And waiting train will be instantly send away.
This can be used only for supplying outpost with repair packs and train stations with fuel.
3)Try to solve this problem: Pickup ore from 10 outpost with different production rate and sent it to 3 smelters with different consumption rate.
Only way to do it right now is overbuild everything for maximum throughput and have much more trains than needed.
And if you have hight throughput you will need huge train stacker at each train station.
Deadlock989 wrote: I'm not saying that the train interface shouldn't change, but it's interesting how many people post threads demanding easy point'n'click solutions to things you can already do with combinators.
You can't do anything from my list in scalable way.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:You can't do anything from my list in scalable way.
Yes I can. It's you that has the problem. Because you're set in your ways, like at least half the other people that demand easy fixes to train scheduling.

Your logic goes like this:

- I need a train-based solution to problem X
- I have determined that solution A is the answer
- Oh noes, solution A doesn't work
- Factorio is broken

Try again.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:3)Try to solve this problem: Pickup ore from 10 outpost with different production rate and sent it to 3 smelters with different consumption rate.
About 12 outposts? - can't be bothered to count, maybe 20 with more off the map - with different production rates supplying 37 smelter-blocks with different consumption rates. Oh, and oil, and stone, and uranium, but who's counting? It's scalable.
Map

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

rampelstinskin wrote:3)Try to solve this problem: Pickup ore from 10 outpost with different production rate and sent it to 3 smelters with different consumption rate.
This is where on-site smelting becomes the superior solution to centralized.
Not only do you double train capacity, you also don't have to worry about your planet-sized smelter not being enough.

Have the trains deliver to 1 centralized storage which functions to spread the throughput equally to the end-consumers.

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

Deadlock989 wrote:About 12 outposts? - can't be bothered to count, maybe 20 with more off the map - with different production rates supplying 37 smelter-blocks with different consumption rates. Oh, and oil, and stone, and uranium, but who's counting? It's scalable.
Let me guess... all outposts have different names and you changing train schedule every time you add or remove outpost.
And you have huge train stakers at each outpost.
And this factory have low throughput.
Try again.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:Let me guess... all outposts have different names and you changing train schedule every time you add or remove outpost.
Wrong. Guess again. This is a fun game.
And you have huge train stakers at each outpost.
If "8" means "huge" for you, sure. I'm no size queen. It could have been 6 or 4 or 12 or 2. It literally doesn't matter as long as you haven't clogged your network with too many active trains.
And this factory have low throughput.
Try again.
0.25 rockets per minute, ~700 science per minute, but I haven't really pushed it to maximum yet, the science and rocket side of things is under-sized, I got as far as mining productivity 35 and kind of lost interest. Again, if that's "low" for you, then there's just no pleasing some people.

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

Deadlock989 wrote:0.25 rockets per minute, ~700 science per minute,
To make 700 science per minute you need:
18 blue belts of copper plates. I see only 2.
21 blue belts of iron plates. I see only 2.
4 blue belts of steel plates. I see only 2.
Plus other resources.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:
Deadlock989 wrote:0.25 rockets per minute, ~700 science per minute,
To make 700 science per minute you need:
18 blue belts of copper plates. I see only 2.
21 blue belts of iron plates. I see only 2.
4 blue belts of steel plates. I see only 2.
Plus other resources.
Are you calling me a liar?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DeadlockCrating

And none of that happens before the trains, only after, so the single thing it affects is the number of belt lanes needed in the main base. And in fact this base started off without the mod and got converted later, so, check your assumptions.

At some point, you're going to have to accept that you don't know as much about trains as you think you do, and that other people have figured out solutions to the problem you're stropping about. If you want the devs to remove combinators from the game entirely and replace them with dummy-mode buttons on everything, just come out and say it.

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

Deadlock989 wrote: Are you calling me a liar?
I see base that just can't do what you claim it do in vanilla factorio. What I should think?
You made logistic trivial with mod. Good job.
Now go vanilla and try to repeat it without ridiculos overbuid.
Deadlock989 wrote: At some point, you're going to have to accept that you don't know as much about trains as you think you do, and that other people have figured out solutions to the problem you're stropping about.
This is your quote right?
Deadlock989 wrote:Outpost is full of waiting trains? Toggle the station off. New trains don't go there. It's literally not rocket science.
This is just false. You don't know how trains and circuit network work with each other.
Deadlock989 wrote: If you want the devs to remove combinators from the game entirely and replace them with dummy-mode buttons on everything, just come out and say it.
I never suggested it. Moreover my every suggestion designed to work with circuit network. Two of them just completely useless without combinators.
If I want dumb solution I just use LTN mod.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

rampelstinskin wrote:You made logistic trivial with mod. Good job.
Now go vanilla and try to repeat it without ridiculos overbuid.
There's a good chance that some flavor of belt-stacking will make it to vanilla, you know.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

rampelstinskin wrote:I see base that just can't do what you claim it do in vanilla factorio. What I should think?
It was vanilla, and then was converted later, and the mod has zero effect on train scheduling anyway. I already said that. Take your own advice, read what people post before you open your mouth.

Good luck getting the devs to implement your baby-mode train set, I'm sure a charming gentleman such as yourself will have no difficulty with that. If they can figure out what your garbled proposal even is.

rampelstinskin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rampelstinskin »

Deadlock989 wrote:[ I'm sure a charming gentleman such as yourself will have no difficulty with that.
Let's recap what happen in this conversation.
1)You start with insult.
2)Took quote from context without understanding what I was talking about.
3)Give objectively false information about how train stations work.
4)Ignored everything I said about you mistakes.
5)Shown impossible in vanilla game base without saying anything about mods.
6)Start whining because I didn't believe you.
7)Unable to follow conversation.
8)You continue to ignore what I saying and continue to insult me.
dood wrote:There's a good chance that some flavor of belt-stacking will make it to vanilla, you know.
Right now it impossible in vanilla. This is why my doubts was justified.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”