Idea: to instantly show newly installed mods in game mod gui

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Idea: to instantly show newly installed mods in game mod gui

Post by foodfactorio »

TL;DR what
Hi, i would like to suggest that the "Mods" screen from the main menu, instantly shows any newly downloaded mods from the "install mods" in game feature, as entries alongside all of the other mods listed. This could also reduce multiple game-engine restarts, to just 1 time.

Also would it be possile to have these just-installed mods, shown in a bright orange or purple colour, with some exclamation icon such as " :!:" to show that is has just been downloaded. This way people could:

1) Launch game
2) Install new mods (and click Back)
3) Easily see the listed entry for the mod(s) they just installed,
4) Enable which ones to enable
5) restart the whole game engine just 1 time :)

Why ?
When players install mods, they may often find or want to install more mods while using the in-game installer, but may only want to Enable (or disable) some of them. (un-ticking the automatically enable mods, is useful, but ticking it, is only useful when you only install 1 or some mods that you definitely want to install and enable...)

Usually, people will see the homepage of the Mod Portal, and see new mods that sound cool, so they launch the game, and search for the different mods that sound cool, but may only actually want to enable "some" of them, but still do download them for the future. (this could be because they dont want to add something to an existing game, but may include it later)

Currently, i find myself having to restart the whole game engine, because i cant see any mods in the list straight after installing them, (to manually enable some). This can also get worse whenever there is a conflict, and several are Disabled during loading, and when i then relaunch the game (with some mods disabled via the in game "disable conflicting mods" button), i then have to go back in, to manually enable correct mods, and then restart again to pick up the changes :)

How To Reproduce This:
an example (with automatically enable new mods Disabled):

Try to launch the game, and install the mod called "1 tank 100 fish" :) and 1 other mod of your choosing.
When you click the Back button, to enable just one of them, where is it in the list of mods?
to enable...currently we need to then exit the whole game, restart the whole game, go back into the mods gui, enable it, and exit/relaunch the game a 3rd time :)

If something can be done to incorporate the idea into the game (hopefully not too hard but i dont know), then i think it will help all players, and with the new mod shown in another different colour (or with the exclamation icon), i think it a small message like this could be useful:
"this mod needs to be enabled here, and you will need to restart the game before any newly installed/enabled mods can be loaded".

thanks for reading :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”