Sorting key for any Inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

black power
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Sorting key for any Inventory

Post by black power »

Hello everyone,

I just played some factorio the other day after playing a lot of minecraft. And there is one big feature missing in my oppinion.

In some of the minecraft mods (dont realy know wich on does it) you can sort the inventory (your own and chests) by middle mouse button click. It would be realy cool if you could do this here in factorio to. There is allready an option to sort your inventory in the menu but i dont want it to allway autosort it, because i somtime want to split items in inventory like ammo for turrets and so on.

So the way i do it right now: go to the menu, enabel autosorting, back to the game, open inventory ( now sortet), back to the menu, disable autosortin. And as this is allready implementet it should be mapable to some key in the layout.

I hope I didnt miss any other thread where this is suggestet, but i couldnt find one. And sorry for the not so good english i am from germany :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sorting key for any Inventory

Post by ssilk »

I don't see the use for that...
- You have many methods to move items from you inventory into a stack and from the stack into another inventory (combinations of CTRL, SHIFT etc. see the keyboard mapping options), you can really fast split items in that way to equally distribute them.
- You can put items into your quick bar too, if you really want to split it.

But I want, that the car is also sorted.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

black power
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by black power »

Ok i didnt know the thing with the quickbar for spliting. Thats good to know so you can allway enable sorting and you can split if you want via quickbar.

I think this is an valid option. I was just thinking if you havent enable autosorting for what reason ever you can sort once by klicking a symbol or a button.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Don't know why this thread did sink into obscurity. I want a key for sorting, too. Looking for that specific item in an unsorted inventory is just annoying. Would be easier with a fixed order.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Your inventory is already auto-sorted, but I guess this functionality could be useful for chests.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Please read back: You can turn off autosorting. This suggestion is about turning it off and then sort it only when you need it.

EDI
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EDI »

I made a similar suggestion a while back... I believe a hotkey for sorting would solve the need of turning autosort off and on in the options and clicking around a lot, but I ended up using the toolbelt slots to split up my item stacks, if needed :) Not sure how, but I somehow got used to that^^

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I still don't understand, why someone needs to turn off the sorting, I mean I don't miss anything with auto sorting, or better: I think I don't miss anything... :)

but well..

AnodeCathode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AnodeCathode »

I'd like this feature too. I prefer to have autosort off most of the time but a hotkey to have it do a one-time sort would be great for cleanup.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The real problem is just: I want to have a sorted inventory now and then, but I want to be able to part a stack into smaller groups. With sorting enabled that's not possible.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@Nova: I thought about it, and I think yes, this is a good idea!

Every trunk/container has some number of sub-trunks. And I can drag stacks from one trunk to another and tell the trunk: "first trunk is sorted, and takes up these items (list of item types). The second trunk is not auto sorted and any other items." And so on.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Um, I didn't want to overkill the problem. Just a sorting key for the inventory please. ^^
Greetings, Nova.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

Nova wrote:Um, I didn't want to overkill the problem. Just a sorting key for the inventory please. ^^
yes for sorting key, because all chest are not auto-sorted, except you take all out and place all back (this must done by hand because inserters keep the disorder of stacks).

yoshi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

sort on demand

Post by yoshi »

Joined -- ssilk

i would like to see instead of needing to keep the autosorter on which flings stuff to where i cant find it in my inventory bind the inventory sort to the middle mouse button or something so i can decide when to sort my inventory.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

scrub5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by scrub5 »

Still want this. What Nova said is exactly why.
Nova wrote:The real problem is just: I want to have a sorted inventory now and then, but I want to be able to part a stack into smaller groups. With sorting enabled that's not possible.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Justified necro : if there is an option to de/activate autosort, there should at least be a key to sort at will when autosort is deactivated.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”