Open mod folder button in mod menu

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Open mod folder button in mod menu

Post by Bilka »

TL;DR
Add a button to open the mods folder in the mod menu.
What ?
Add a button to open the mods folder in the mod menu. Where my cursor is in this image: Image
Why ?
Makes it easier for inexperienced users to find where mods are located.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Open mod folder button in mod menu

Post by E-37 »

I guess that would be nice. I think that the reason that it doesn't exist is because there is a perfectly good mod browser and for another reason: It could be confusing. Lets say you are a new user to and have downloaded a bunch of mods zips and you don't know enough to do a quick google search on the mod location. There is a couple issues though. They probably downloaded the the most recent stable version of the game. However, when they downloaded all their mods they probably just hit the download button without checking the version, and chances are that they got the experimental version. Then they open the mod folder and dump them all in. ... And nothing happens. The mods don't show up in game. There would need to be some way of showing them that the game needs restarted like how the mod menu restarts the game after you are finished with your changes. Then they realize that most of their mods don't work since they are for the newer experimental release. Now what? They have to go back to where they downloaded them all and find the correct version of the mod and install them. That was pretty confusing and not very fun. So... I would suggest that if a button is added, I would put a warning next to it like "For Advanced Users Only" to scare off those who would struggle with using it.
I went through most of those steps when I first started, with the wrong version being especially confusing since the mod page said some mods were updated a couple days ago and weren't the correct version.

TL:DR - If the user is new enough not to do a quick search on where the mod folder is, they are too new to use it.
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

This. To give a way for people to easily locate their mod folder and avoid potential confusion.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

Why this is not implemented yet...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”