[0.16.17] Misleading splitter settings - filter

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[0.16.17] Misleading splitter settings - filter

Post by boskid »

For testing i am feeding splitter with two belts of mixed copper and iron.

Splitter can be used in 3 output rules:
- normal rule (when output priority is off)
- priority rule (when output priority is on and no filter)
- filter rule (when output priority is on and filter is set)

There are two problems here:
- if i choose to filter out iron (output priority is enabled), filter rule will force all iron to go to selected line and all other stuff to other line. This is against "output priority", since excess iron plates wont leave other output. Is may be intended to solve problem of creepage on filtered-out belt but may lock trunk line if filter-out line is full
- if i choose to filter out iron (output priority is disabled), spliter will force normal rule and ignore filter setting. This is againts other parts of gui like inserters, where disabled controls (like enable-condition) will not show if they are ineffective

Essentialy this bug is based on fact that if filter field is set, it changes meaning of "output priority" checkbox to "enable filtering"

solution 1 for this could be select box "Output rule: " 1/default(normal) 2/priority 3/filter(blocking) [this is current filter rule] 4/filter(non-blocking), where filter slot shows only in setting 3 and 4.
solution 2 for this could be to move filter slot in between "input priority" and "output priority", and when filter slot is set, change text "output priority:" to "filter side" and force checkbox to be checked.

This topic may also be marked as "NaB" or "wont fix", as "filter(non-blocking)" can be achived by using 3 spliters, one to filter out iron, second to priority iron output and third to merge back excess iron, however this will limit throughput to one belt.

19wolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.17] Misleading splitter settings - filter

Post by 19wolf »

I think it should be like this:

Code: Select all

Input priority:   [left] [[]]  [right]
filter:           left:   []   right: []
output priority:  [left] [[]] [right]

malderan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by malderan »

While it may seem misleading - you cannot prioritise a lane when it is filtering - simply changing the label to “filter output” when a filter item is selected would probably be enough to clarify

Automatically ticking the output box when a filter item is selected would be nice too

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think :
1) It works as intended
2) It's a totally valid suggestion to make the mechanism maybe more intuitive
[Koub] Moved to Ideas and Suggestions
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I do also find new settings unintuitive and misleading. While I can understand the way devs thought when implementing this player side-wise this looks really ugly.
I think there should be 2 separate filters corresponding to outputs and the filter setting should be visualized in Alt mode as an item icon above both outputs.

I do understand that it makes no sense in setting two filters and it will effectively jam the splitter if extra items come into it. But interface should be more visually clear about it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”