Logistics Robot Overhaul

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ecu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logistics Robot Overhaul

Post by Ecu »

Reading the recent FFF here, as well as the prior one, I've found myself agreeing that logistics robots are too strong currently.

We've been discussing this over on discord and with the help of those there, I've come up with a rough idea for an overhaul to the existing logistics system.

This proposed system would replace the existing logistics robots and their associated structures (except roboports of course). For ease of explanations, I've named the entities: logistics packager, logistics storage, logistics receiver, and of course logistics robot.

Logistics Packager
This would be a 3x3 structure which could be provided with items like any other chest. Once full, it would create a new package entity which contains the stored items. This package can be manually accessed like a chest, however, once emptied it disappears.

Logistics Storage
This would be a 5x5 structure which would provide a buffer for packages. The structure and its associated packages can only be accessed manually or by logistics robots.

Logistics Receiver
This would be a 1x1 structure which can receive packages by way of a logistics robot. It can be accessed by inserters, which will be able to pull items from the stored package (but not place items within). Additionally, its filter settings would define what packages would be brought to that receiver.

Overall, I feel this system would solve the issue of robots being the best option, while allowing players to continue to create robot only factories if they desire. It would really encourage the usage of all three transportation methods within a large factory.

Would love any feedback!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”