Nerfing Requester / Provider chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peacoq
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Nerfing Requester / Provider chests

Post by Peacoq »

TL;DR
By increasing the size of Requester / Provider chest and reducing the amount of elements per chest will force bot designs to be bigger, while at the same time making bot a very bad solution for some factory recipes.
What ?
Increase the size of Provider / Requester chest to 3x3.
Reduce the number of item types in a requester / provider chests to 1.
Why ?
Bots are simply too good at pretty much everything:
1) The simplest setup. 1 Assembler, 1 Requester chest and 1 Provider chest for any recipe.
2) The most efficient in terms of factory usage. Given the above, it is very simple to balance production of different components without changing factory layout.
3) The setup which can accommodate the most beacons per factory and do it easily.
4) Best UPS wise (this point is not very important though for the majority of players so we might ignore it).

The idea presented will nerf the part #1, which in turn will scale down both #2 and #3.
While it is still pretty easy to change the recipe of a factory if the number of or input / outputs change, the factory has to be modified accordingly. This would normally be achieved by reducing or increasing the number of beacons.
The balancing of resources in order to reduce bottlenecks would be a bit more complex.
Also since you can only have 1 input component per requester/ provider, the number of assemblers / requester / provider entities will increase, making the bots not the best solution UPS wise for every recipe for megabases.
They would make sense for furnaces, research labs.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Nerfing Requester / Provider chests

Post by Zaflis »

Increase the size of Provider / Requester chest to 3x3.
2x2 would still be a pain that might not go well with most people.
Reduce the number of item types in a requester / provider chests to 1.
No chance, too heavy nerf. You wouldn't automate recipes that need 5 different items in the recipe then.

If you really want to nerf bots, i'm sure there are mods to do that?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Nerfing Requester / Provider chests

Post by Engimage »

Increasing chest size will only lead to small redesign of production lines and will not address the main issue of unlimited throughput

Yes you won’t be able to make common 8x8 build but simple replacement of every second beacon with a chest will only slightly increase build size while still retaining scalability and throughput

Limiting requests to 1 without changing chest size is one of possible nerds I could accept but again I see no solution for scalability and throughput issues and this will only hit common players

So no. I do not see this as a viable solution

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”