Returning Auto Trash to main inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

fLAZER
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Returning Auto Trash to main inventory

Post by fLAZER »

Would be nice for Logistic Trash Slots content return to main inventory when Auto Trash thresholds are no longer reached.

If my Logistics setting for 600 Express Belts is 600 and my set Auto Trash for then is 1000, when I deconstruct a section Express Belts, inventory over 1000 is moved to Logistics Trash (slots).

In this case, please assume I've I now have 1200 Express Belts: 1000 in main inventory, and 200 in Logistics Trash (the excess from the deconstruct).

If later I blueprint 1150 Express Belts, to complete the build, I have to drag the 100+ quantity out of Logistics Trash (slots).

Instead would be nice if the game realised my main inventory for Express Belts was no longer over the 1000 limit, and returned the 100+ Express Belts to my main inventory.

Thx Kindly for reading,
Bill

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Returning Auto Trash to main inventory

Post by ManaUser »

Maybe a better solution would be to "spend" items from the trash slots first. For example when bots take items for blueprints or when your cursor or hot bar automatically "refills", it would take them from the trash slots preferentially.

fLAZER
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fLAZER »

Perhaps better... then again, if you want to place the items manually, you'd have to pull the out of the trash.

For example if you open a chest intending to place a trash item into it, you have to go to inventory screen first, pull it out, then carry on.
Not too big a deal if it's only one stack, but multiple stacks can be a pain.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

That's a good point. I'm not saying you what you suggest is a bad idea, I'm just a little leery of the game making assumptions about what I want. For example, I might set an auto-trash limit of 50 for coal. This means "if I'm carrying more than 50 coal I don't want it", it doesn't necessarily imply "I always want to carry 50 coal". Suppose I pick up 87 coal while demolishing a plastic factory. So 37 get auto-trashed. But I don't really want any of it right now. If I toss the other 50 in the trash would this feature interfere?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

ManaUser wrote:That's a good point. I'm not saying you what you suggest is a bad idea, I'm just a little leery of the game making assumptions about what I want. For example, I might set an auto-trash limit of 50 for coal. This means "if I'm carrying more than 50 coal I don't want it", it doesn't necessarily imply "I always want to carry 50 coal". Suppose I pick up 87 coal while demolishing a plastic factory. So 37 get auto-trashed. But I don't really want any of it right now. If I toss the other 50 in the trash would this feature interfere?
Yeah - for example, I could have a request of 100 coal and autotrash above 200.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

BloodyRain2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BloodyRain2k »

There's another somewhat bothersome issue with logistic requests and auto trash: if the auto trash limit is below the requested amount you will be infinitely supplied and un-trashed.

In my opinion should the logistic system not go mental from that but just soft set the auto trash limit to the requested amount.

An example is that I set a request for 200 walls and have auto trash set to 200 too so I don't crap up my inventory with deconstructed ones.
Now I want to build a bigger piece of wall somewhere outside and take more than 200 with me and change it to 500.
Immediately will the boys bring me the remaining 300 walls and the moment I received the first additional one are other boys starting to take them out again because the inventory still throws all above it's limit of 200 away even though it is requesting 500 at the same time.

Another thing is that when creating a new auto trash limit of an item you're already requesting that it would set the new trash limit not below the requested amount. But that's a minor QoL thing, the above is kind of a nuisance.

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rcp27 »

Came here to make this suggestion. I find it particularly irritating if I am using the cut/paste function. Suppose I have inserters set for 50/100, so I always have some but never too many. Suppose there is a big element of my factory, that contains 200 inserters, is off by two squares from where I want it to be, so I use cut/paste to shift it over to where it needs to go. When the chaos of bots calms down, I find that the construction is missing 100 inserters, I have none in my inventory and 100 in my trash slots.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Seems to me the best way for it to be handled internally is for request amounts to be fulfilled from the trash slots before actually putting a request out to the logistic network?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

The original thread was started 4 years ago, and logistics behavior has changed a bit since then. The current behavior is that logistic bots will move items from trash to inventory if you have less than your request threshold (since they are both the highest priority provider and highest priority requester, respectively). The requested change would presumably allow this to happen even if logistic bots are not present. You also have the option now to disable both deliveries and trash temporarily.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”