Inserter and Belt Synergy (Compressibility)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Roughwaves
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserter and Belt Synergy (Compressibility)

Post by Roughwaves »

TL;DR
Inserters compress Transport Belts
Fast Inserters compress Fast Transport Belts
Stack Inserters compress Express Transport Belts

What ?
With the recent changes to belt compression and the debates that ensued, it would seem that a synergetic solution was already in place.
Different tiers of inserters and belts already have associated speeds. That tech of the same tier would be required to achieve maximum production seems natural.
So, Tier one items such as inserters and transport belts would already compress a line. Once the red belts were in place, regular inserters would no longer swing fast enough to compress the belt. Fast inserters would instead be needed. And so forth. It's pretty simple, I don't think a lengthier description is necessary.

Why ?
It would allow for compression of belts, but also at the same time require associated researches and power considerations when building your factory. Yes, stack inserters compress a belt, but they take a lot of power and cost a lot of resources. You only get one item out of a furnace anyway, so how many stack inserters is the least amount that you would need to compress a belt and still be efficient with power?

This change would create a give/take consideration which factorio is all about :)
This may have already been posted, although I didn't see it. Although it is an 'original' idea, its so obvious to me (and I'm no creative genious) that I'm sure others have thought of it. That just means we're all right :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”