Underground wiring

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

raffx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Underground wiring

Post by raffx »

Please, make a possibility for underground wiring

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Underground wiring

Post by FactorioParadox »

How exactly would underground wiring work?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Sounds like a modding interface request along the lines of: "Allow specifying power-pole prototypes that do not render wires" is what the OP wants. I've thought about that myself a few times...
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Maybe something like https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Theander ... weredFloor
Making non-colliding power-poles like that is trivial. The problem is that the cables look shitty (as can be seen on the screenshots). Maybe a substation that looks like a very thin power pole that sits "between tiles" would be ok for the OP too...
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Zaydan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zaydan »

I think power poles and subsequent wiring is a core part of the game. Something that is an essential consideration for any construction project whether it be functional or more aesthetic planning.

As a previous poster stated, I feel like this kind of thing is more suited to the modding community as it is really a major change to how the game is played.

Out of interest OP, what is your reasoning behind wanting this?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Related suggestion threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41491 Underground layer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47840 Unterground World

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Tekky wrote:Related suggestion threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41491 Underground layer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47840 Unterground World
We need both of those things
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

n7m6e7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by n7m6e7 »

How exactly would underground wires differ from above ground wires? When it comes to normal wires, the power poles take up space, but the actual wires dont. If we just moved the wires underground, then itd be the same as it is now, but without the visual feedback of what connects to what.

If you are suggesting that machines should tap directly into the underground power, then i argue it would be a pain to impliment , break the power distribution mechanic (just run underground wires throughout the base, no more power concerns) , and above all make no logical sense. Unfortunately the power poles dont show it, but poles normally have transformers. The line voltage is incredibly high, to overcome the resistance of the wire its traveling through, the transformer bumps the voltage down for home (machine) use.

If underground wires were implimented, id imagine they would just be a longer ranged version of the big poles (since they dont need the support )

Or it would be some kind of sub station, that can connect to poles from further away than said poles max reach, but you have to manually connect them with expensive underground wires. (Blue processing unit, plastic, several copper wires. Or something)
There are no absolutes. I live knowing I could always be wrong, but with confidence that I could also be right.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”