Allow us to change the size of map generation preview

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Allow us to change the size of map generation preview

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Generating the map preview takes a comparatively long time and gives me more information than I really need to determine if I like that particular start. The biggest parameter I look at is "Are my starting resources close enough to each other and to water so I don't have to walk too far?" and that is easily determined by looking at a 10x10 square of chunks if even that. I'm frustrated by the game deciding to preview whatever monstrous size it does when I don't want or need that much information to start.

Could there please be an option to change the size of the map generation preview? That way we can dive in quicker instead of waiting for it to finish its thing.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Allow us to change the size of map generation preview

Post by Caine »

Yes, I agree. AntiElitz stated something similar on his first 0.16 stream. It is actually quicker to start the game and look at the map than to generate a preview.

It also feels a bit like cheating to view such a large area in advance. I want good startup conditions to speed up the early game, but the mid game should require exploration.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

You can change it by editing max_map_preview_chunk_side in config.ini

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

posila wrote:You can change it by editing max_map_preview_chunk_side in config.ini
Took me a bit to get working due to that line being commented out, but this does get the job done. Wish it could be done in the in-game settings, but editing the config file is enough for now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”