Trains should be willing to auto-reverse course

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Trains should be willing to auto-reverse course

Post by golfmiketango »

I really like that early 0.16 somehow changed the train engineerbot to no longer force the trains to come to a complete stop every time they are given a new destination. However, this has led to a bit of the opposite problem: now, they will AFAICS never turn around, even if told to go straight back where they came from just a tiny smidge out from the station. Instead, of course, they opt to do any ridiculous thing that will allow them to turn around at speed, if they can find one, which seems like a source of "loops are bad"-ness.

Perhaps in the present implementation, they are only willing to consider the possibility of reversing course if they have come to a full stop, or are at a station, or something like this?

However, if you are addressing this issue, may I humbly request that you pretty, pretty please consider adding a more ambitious enhancement instead of the obvious "if the user manually requests a new destination then..." quick-fix?

Allowing the engineerbot to actually build route plans (esp. when repathing, but maybe even without a repath) which include reversing course as a (moderately disfavored) part of their path/plan, would solve this, and maybe even enable us to build wyes without dummy stations (and could also make for some amusing, unexpected emergent train behaviors that are actually smart rather than inscrutable/crazy).

Even with this change a major problem exists with wyes: they mostly only make sense if the train can actually go in reverse against the engine direction. But there are exceptions. For example we can build a 1-16-4 train that only goes the "slow way" in the wye. Admittedly this doesn't come up much. To rationalize the ability to go against the engine direction, I guess we'd probably need some kind of new signal or routing checkbox or something which seems like a lot to ask for.... I don't know why I want wyes so bad but I do :)

P.S.: trains are definitely way less inscrutable/crazy now than they were in 0.15; ime things are definitely moving in the right direction!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”