Moveable UI Panel

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

EmeraldFlame
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Moveable UI Panel

Post by EmeraldFlame »

TL;DR
Allow us the option to move UI panels such as the minimap or weapon selection

What ?
It's pretty simple, I just want to be able to move the existing UI elements away from their static locations, to a spot of my choosing. The biggest reason, being for better multi-screen support
Currently, in a multi-monitor config, the UI ends up looking like this
Factorio-Eyefinity.jpg
Factorio-Eyefinity.jpg (6.67 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
, the minimap and weapon selection get thrown way out to the edge of the side monitor which makes it harder to access that information. And, when you do, you have to completely take your attention away from your character.

I'd like to be able to do bring those UI elements back to the edges of the center screen so they are easier to see and the information is more accessible
Factorio-Eyefinity-Moved.jpg
Factorio-Eyefinity-Moved.jpg (6.55 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
, and I'm sure others would appreciate the flexibility of moving the UI in other situations as well.
Why ?
It seems like a relatively basic feature that makes the game extremely more friendly to the multi-monitor community. Instead of making the UI change a multi-monitor specific setting, opening it up for general movement of the UI elements would allow for even those that don't run multiple monitors to have some more flexibility in their screen setups. I think this would generally be a welcome change and allow people to come up with their own style of how they interact with and keeps tabs on the on-screen information.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Moveable UI Panel

Post by Jap2.0 »

I've also head the suggestion that a secondary monitor be a full-screen map, so if you had dual monitors one would be a map and the other woule be the game. I think that could be cool (I'm not sure how well it would work, but I think it has a lot of potential). I also thinnk a moveble GUI could be cool, although I doubt I would use it much. 0.17 is the GUI update, so now's the time to give ideas :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Not quite what the OP asked, but a moddable gui layout where you could define the size and location of gui elements on screen would also be cool. The way I could move the sidebar off of my main screen and onto the left most portion a secondary screen and then use the rest of that screen for a large map view. Not sure how well my graphics card could cope with that though. (Also not sure how much of that could be already be done through the existing modding api).

Unique_Pineapple
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unique_Pineapple »

Jap2.0 wrote:I've also head the suggestion that a secondary monitor be a full-screen map, so if you had dual monitors one would be a map and the other woule be the game. I think that could be cool (I'm not sure how well it would work, but I think it has a lot of potential). I also thinnk a moveble GUI could be cool, although I doubt I would use it much. 0.17 is the GUI update, so now's the time to give ideas :).
Maybe allow the minimap to be resized in addition to being moved, and once it reaches a certain size, add the hide/show buttons present in the fullscreen map (I've always thought the minimap should be synchronized with the fullscreen one and show turrets/power/etc if they are shown on fullscreen).

I have a 2 monitor setup but have never played Factorio using both. Would definitely do so if this became a feature.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”