Endless Game with Colonization - Ideas of a Fan in Love :)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Endless Game with Colonization - Ideas of a Fan in Love :)

Post by RaviorMetal »

Hello.

I've been playing Factorio for a couple of weeks now and really love everything about it being just as I know it from a good puzzle game. But instead of just solving puzzles and getting said "Done Well" you then have a base to build up upon, or just enjoy watching how everthing works out or fine tuning the machinery. I also like the atmosphere of this, being alone on a vast planet, which is crawling with enemies where the good ores are. The graphical design is just perfect for this! It feels so eerie, and I like this feeling in games, it remembers me on the mood which was there in Games like Metro (just as an example of which kind of mood I like) - not that its about horror so much, I just think the design here is perfect.

So now, I know that the devs are still working on how the endless game could really be made endless, so that you have ever and ever new tasks to accomplish. Also, before I begin with the explanation, note this: I also live trains :) ;)

So what about this to happen after the player manages to build the Rocket Defense (and I know there are Ideas out there for this, that here is just my own):

The ships with the colonists land.
But they dont do that next to your factory because that would be just silly to land there next to all the dirt and smoke and stuff.
Instead they spread a little far away from the factory and begin building their cities there.
Now they need resources for this, which gets the player back in action: There needs to be loooooong railroads to be build with dozens of trains running from end to end to get the Colonists what they need:
- The basic stuff like material for construction
- But now also stuff like something to eat (Which is the one I think Ive read in the ideas of the devs that they could make)

This would make up for a truly endless game, where you have to get the resources for the people from the entire surface of the planet:

- The Factories are now just small pieces (but still some which need to be made some thought on)
- Railroad Network is the now larger thing in the bigger picture
- Once youre successfully supplying all the Cities that are there, the player could get into decision to expand and let more Colonists come, bulding new cities which also need to get attached to the network

What needs to be done on the game for that:

- Well the management thing that you should control like in a RTS manner mabye
- A gui which enables you to overwatch everything that goes on
- Message log to show you where your rails need to be fixed, if people in the cities are starving because the last train was destroyed by aliens or so
- New Statistics of course, to see how you perform
- The world generator should be adjustable so that this would work out better
- Starting area needs to get bigger with fewer resources, so its only really there for the player to begin
- Later the Player should have the urgent need to get stuff with Trains :)
- Problematic shapes of landscape should increase, the farther you get away from the Starting area / like mountains mabye or just rough terrain with lots of rocks, enemies

So you see Im really very much into this game and these are just my thoughts about what could be awesome. I also offered a few nodes on how this could be accomplished. The details, of course, like the way cities are built and how they should look and so on are open to discuss, like everything here.

Please guys, tell me what you think about this. Or mabye there already are Ideas like this? Have the devs said anything about this? Would be awesome.

Please join the discussion.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Endless Game with Colonization - Ideas of a Fan in Love

Post by DerivePi »

RaviorMetal wrote: Please join the discussion.
You have a lot of reading to do. There are some fantastic end game ideas buried in this forum. Many of the thoughts you touch on have been explored as well as many other ideas!

As you come across the ones you like, feel free to link to them in your post for further discussion. The end game mechanics is definitely something I am looking forward to from the developers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Last week I was in Prague and besides the full tourist program, I managed also to speak a day long with splwnd. What I can say is: the end-game won't go around colonization - I say that only for you and others, which have so many thoughts about that. I want to avoid to have so many useless discussions about a theme, which won't happen per sure. Btw: I think this decision is the best for Factorio, but we will see...

What I really liked in your suggestion is to make the endgame endless. That is - as far as I understand them - possible , if not even planned. The rest of your suggestion is a logical consequence of that. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

That feels like OpenTTD to me =]

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

@ SHiRKiT: Well, everything with Trains feels like OpenTTD to me, the upcoming Train-Fever game pretty much also ^^

@ssilk thats a great that youre actually in touch with the devs. Well I should make something clear though: I know Ive said in the Topic as well that I would like to have "Colonization", but thats not so much true, what I rather meant is, that its the logical consequence that Colonists land on the Planet and that opens up for new demands. The more cities there exist the more trains you need to get them stuff, mabye even from one singe mega-factory. There doesn't need much more to be for me to be happy ^^ I like trains ^^

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

I'm very much for having an endless (or a least much longer) game, but I don't think colonists are the answer, and yet it's the only answer that ever comes up in the suggestions.
I think the concept of colonisation just doesn't fit with the rest of Factorio, and if you stick a colonist bit in, it's like "Well, you finished Factorio, now to play this game about colonists instead". I think we need something to put time and materials into other than research (and also more research), but it shouldn't be cities. I don't think other human beings should be involved at all because it's the complete reverse of what Factorio currently is.

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

Mangledpork wrote:I'm very much for having an endless (or a least much longer) game, but I don't think colonists are the answer, and yet it's the only answer that ever comes up in the suggestions.
I think the concept of colonisation just doesn't fit with the rest of Factorio, and if you stick a colonist bit in, it's like "Well, you finished Factorio, now to play this game about colonists instead". I think we need something to put time and materials into other than research (and also more research), but it shouldn't be cities. I don't think other human beings should be involved at all because it's the complete reverse of what Factorio currently is.
I think the reason why "Colonists" comes up so much, is that the game - as it is now - is talking about exactly that. Youre doing everything so that they can come. If the endgame shouldnt be about colonists, this direction the game suggests now must simply be changed.

In that case the endgame should be about exploiting the planet in terms of building huge mining machines so you can get to deeper and deeper levels to harvest different types of ores or something?

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

RaviorMetal wrote:I think the reason why "Colonists" comes up so much, is that the game - as it is now - is talking about exactly that. Youre doing everything so that they can come. If the endgame shouldnt be about colonists, this direction the game suggests now must simply be changed.
I think what happened was they made the basic game and thought "Wait, why is this guy building a factory in the first place? We need some sort of purpose to motivate players" "I dunno, for colonists or something. That makes sense."
Factorio still has a lot of placeholders in it, the biggest ones being the rocket defence ending and the general idea of colonists arriving. As story it's absolutely fine but in terms of mechanics I think it just doesn't fit.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”