CPU usage while paused or minimized

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Eketek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

CPU usage while paused or minimized

Post by Eketek »

I didn't notice any similar suggestions when I searched, but this is a pretty obvious issue which has been around a while.

Presently, Factorio wastes a lot of of power and keeps my system fans running while the game is paused or minimized. Please consider suspending any threads that don't need to be working while nothing significant is going on (such as rendering when there is nothing to update but a menu or while the game window is minimized or hidden). I'd like be able to pause Factorio, do something else, then return to Factorio, without having to exit and reload.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CPU usage while paused or minimized

Post by Koub »

The devs are aware of the situation, and that it might bother players :
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50506
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28712

Now, this is not really something crucial. If you don't need the game to run while you are afk, it's OK to quit the game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The game really does need to stop rendering when minimised. and reduce rendering when not in focus (Most games I play drop to 5fps when not in focus, I'd expect the same from factorio)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

bobingabout wrote:The game really does need to stop rendering when minimised. and reduce rendering when not in focus (Most games I play drop to 5fps when not in focus, I'd expect the same from factorio)
I really don't see any reason why video games should behave that way, and for me it is just another source of technical issues, but Rseding made the game stop rendering when minimised for 0.16.

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MarvinCZ »

posila wrote:... but Rseding made the game stop rendering when minimised for 0.16.
This would be greatly accompanied with muting of all sounds when game is minimized (I mentioned something similar here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54323).
It would still be better to have this whenever game window loses focus, but this could work as well.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

MarvinCZ wrote:
posila wrote:... but Rseding made the game stop rendering when minimised for 0.16.
This would be greatly accompanied with muting of all sounds when game is minimized (I mentioned something similar here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54323).
It would still be better to have this whenever game window loses focus, but this could work as well.
I'm afraid this does not make consensus. I want to be able to hear alerts if necessary, even when I'm tabbed. I don't need sound if the game is paused however.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MarvinCZ »

Koub wrote:I'm afraid this does not make consensus. I want to be able to hear alerts if necessary, even when I'm tabbed. I don't need sound if the game is paused however.
Ha, I see your point. Because I most of the time use to play in peaceful mode, alerts are not so necessary for me. I think the best way which could satisfy everyone would be if there was setting in settings menu even if it was disabled by default.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”