Pickaxe -> Matter Manipulator

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

VinWij
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Pickaxe -> Matter Manipulator

Post by VinWij »

TL;DR: Replace the pickaxe by a configurable device to encourage more meaningful interaction beyond plopping down buildings and 'mining' them. Configurable through different modules and with different tiers, depending on research.

I've long been wondering about the pickaxe and why we still need such an ancient device in an obviously more modern world. So, I suggest replacing it by something else: Matter Manipulator (name can be different, of course).

You always have a default matter manipulator that you begin with and that cannot be dropped. It allows interaction with the gameworld in exactly the same way as the current pickaxe does: mine stuff, build stuff and remove stuff. However, it also explains how you drop stuff down: the manipulator 'sends' the object to the location of your choosing. This would also save the 'mining with a pickaxe' animation the FFF was talking about.

Based on research, you can unlock better tier matter manipulators. And that's when the fun starts. Better classes of manipulators have two additions over the regular one: an internal battery and modules. The battery is needed for interactions with enhanced modules. Modules allow all sorts of new interactions with the world. Better class manipulators have bigger batteries and extra slots. The building and removing of stuff will still work without batteries or battery-charge.
  • Standard Modules:
  • Enhanced build speed: speeds up the process of building and removing with the manipulator
  • Enhanced interaction range: the range in which the character can do stuff increases
  • Suit battery connection: connects the battery to the suit, so the internal battery is charged much faster (this will be a must later on with the more advanced modules)
  • Improved build area: increases the area from which you build or remove stuff from 1x1 to for instance 2x2 or 3x3. Will be especially useful for manual tree removal or quick wall removal or laying a 3-wide belt in one go
  • Fluid-interaction: when you have a barrel in your inventory, you can fill it with water or crude oil. Might be useful for other fluids as well. This could be used for making vehicles run on actual gasoline/kerosine rather than wood.
  • Tractor-beam: allows you to remotely pick up items from the ground. Combine with the build area for some serious vacuum-power when you switch armors and half your inventory falls on the ground again.
The Engineer being present at a certain spot never matters for the factory. There is little to no interaction with your factory, other than changing recipies, building and removing stuff or repairing items. I'd expect an engineer with tools to create an entire factory from thin air has some tricks up his sleeve. It would allow you to actually influence the factory around you. Enhanced modules could be separate research after certain tiers of manipulators. Enhanced Modules use the internal energy battery to work, and therefore need to recharge.
  • Enhanced Modules:
  • Boost: Boost a turret to improve it's capabilities, for instance +20% range, +20% damage for a short time (30 seconds). A perfect skill to use when a defensive line is under heavy attack. Can also be used on vehicles for a temporary boost.
  • Overcharge: Overcharges a turret or vehicle, causing damage to the entity but for bigger bonusses. For when you are really in trouble.
  • Critical Overcharge: overcharges beyond critical thresholds, causing a massive damage bonus for a few seconds and then destroying the entity in an explosion, damaging everything around it.
  • Repair module: allows the manipulator to repair items using energy rather than repair packs (balance can be discussed, of course).
  • Overload: Causes an energy-surge in an assembler, mining drill, refinery or other producing building, providing a bonus to production for a short time. When you are waiting for stuff to build.
  • Shock: A stun-weapon with an area-attack that slows biters to a crawl for x seconds. This is the stuff you want to shoot over your shoulder when biters are chasing you.
  • Marker: marks an enemy entity, which will show up on the map for your team and inflicts a % damage-bonus when it is hit.
  • Teleporter: Warps the engineer a small distance (up to 5 squares for instance). Perfect for escaping biters or just warping over a wall without the need for a door.
  • Shield projector: Forms a small forcefield around an object, other player or vehicle. Works like a normal shield, but doesn't recharge, vanishes after x seconds and has limited hitpoints. Perfect for just saving that turret biters are nibbling on.
These came up this morning, I'm sure your imagination will come up with others. A MM will have for instance 3 or 4 slots at the highest tier, requiring you to choose based on what you need in a situation.

This will finally retire that wierd ancient pickaxe and supply us with a useful tool to interact with the world. It will allow more interactions with your factory than basically none after it was built and will probably appeal to modders as well. Lorewise I think it's something you can expect the Engineer to carry, and the research will drain some more resources.

As a side-idea, it could also 'fix' the crafting-queue: disable the crafting queue, and when you for instance have the materials for a power-pole, plotting it down takes as much time as you need to create it in your inventory; it basically creates the pole on the spot rather than in your inventory (which is precisely what a matter manipulator would do). It will slow you down when you use the queue a lot, but it will stimulate proper fabrication by assemblers. It will still allow you to just bring a bunch of steel and copper and create large power poles in the field, it's just a little slower than preparing well. If you have it in your inventory, just to be complete, it will just build instantly, as it does currently. So getting stuff in your inventory will either require creating it in assemblers or removing existing ones.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Brathahn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pickaxe -> Matter Manipulator

Post by Brathahn »

I like some of the ideas.
This could also fix the free wires in blueprint or the suggested wire gun problem for the circuit network.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

humm makes me think of the mining tools mod.

if this was a mod, i would probably try it out.

as for it being in vanilla, i doubt it would happen, a bit more complex than the nub needs imo.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Doesn't matter, mining tools are gone now.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

bobingabout wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:19 pm
Doesn't matter, mining tools are gone now.
It would be better if it become modular instead.
For improved range, speed, discharge damage etc.
Think about armour: Light, Heavy, then modular.
The same with tool: Iron, Steel, ... why not?

I have read dev note, but things can be changed.
Again, reasons:
1. We still need way to improve reach range. Direct reach, not Robot reach.
2. Armour is passive personal improvement. Tool should be active one. Bots and machines are additional.
3. Discharge defence fit modular tool perfectly without need of remote.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sad_Brother wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:14 pm
1. We still need way to improve reach range. Direct reach, not Robot reach.
Both Reach and Mining reach is an entity modifier, so scripting can change this.
I'm also fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that reach exists as a research option too.

Basically, instead of a distinct item to help with mining, it will be a research option now.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Modular armour improve shields, roboports, speed, vision based on installed modules for current task.
Modular tool can improve reach range, mining speed, craft speed, discharge damage based on installed modules for current task.
Using tool with special modules developers can implement such features as craft-on-the-fly, give-power-to-this-machine, charge-power-from-this-pole, discharge-to-this-enemy, etc.
In my humble opinion tool should not be thrown away for not adding to game. It should be improved to become adding to game more than now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”