Monorail and HyperLoop

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Monorail and HyperLoop

Post by SlondoTK »

TL;DR
New types os trains
What ?
More content related to mass transport over long distances, the artillery train is already confirmed to 0.16, and I know its existence ;)
But what new ways are even more efficient and faster for transportation?
Correct, the monorail and the hyperloop!
The Monorail
- Think with me, further research will be needed to release these "machines", with the research done, we will have magnetic levitation..
- With levitation, we can research maybe a Logistics 4 and in the future Logistics 5.
- The Logistics 4 frees the monorail, a fast, safe and efficient transportation.
About Monorail
The monorail can not be attacked directly by the aliens, a problem that today's trains face quite a bit, stopping completely depending on the level of evolution of the aliens. It is a beautiful transportation, and I see great use in the center of the factories, to transport items faster than the treadmills in large quantities logically, not to mention that it will be above the other constructions, making the installation even easier.
monorail.gif
monorail.gif (647.3 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Have you thought about putting the suspended liquid pipes to the pillars of the monorail?

The HyperLoop
This I see as the next step, is being developed in real life :D
- This is a train, which also uses magnetic levitation and to move is used vacuum, it is basically a capsule pushed by the force of the vacuum!
- It travels great distances in a matter of seconds, is supported on pillars such as monorail, it is composed of a fully enclosed tube, which can be glass or metal :o
About Hyperloop
It would be great to have this machine on my sleeve. it's a very ultra fast train.. I can almost see it replacing my diesel locomotives over long distances, can be unlocked after research vacuum and magnetic levitation, then you can research logistics 5.
Once again, it can not be attacked by aliens, so much so that the passage through the colonies would be insignificant, so fast that the hyperloop is :P

below I left two hyperloop images\/
hyperloop2.gif
hyperloop2.gif (7.6 MiB) Viewed 3308 times
hyperloop.gif
hyperloop.gif (549.42 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Why ?
I never tire of saying that I think it's Factorio an incredible game.
Ever wondered what it would be like to have these guns up their sleeves? these are revolutions!
would leave the expansion of base much more attractive, if you have a lot of resources, you can invest in these wonders ;)
The game itself is very good, but we always want everything :D :D

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Monorail and HyperLoop

Post by Lav »

So, add another network of rails which is incompatible with the current one?

Me no like.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Lav wrote:So, add another network of rails which is incompatible with the current one?

Me no like.
OTTD has this transition as well. Steam -> Electric -> Monorail-> MagLev, which are mutually exclusive except for Steam being able to drive on Electric. Factorio would need a sort of train depot/train upgrade station though that can convert existing trains. Upgrading the Rails to the next stage would be kinda like upgrading belts. I actually considered modding this in a vew versions ago but never got to it. And sadly as of .15 the ability to create custom rail categories has been removed so modding it in is off the table (well, except if you want to allow maglev to also drive on normal rails...).

As for "rails on poles with pipes"...you'd first need to introdoce a "building layers" concept or else it becomes really difficult to construct/maintain you factory if a track constantly blocks vision of everything beneath. And as that would be a major change it's kinda unlikely to happen :/.

Also conceptually both Hyperloop and Maglev are only fit for light cargo (electric circuits?) and not the sort of heavy cargo (ore/metal) that is usually transported in factorio.

TL;DR:
Merging Factorio with OTTD? Go for it! (Not expecting it to actually happen.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

eradicator wrote:OTTD has this transition as well. Steam -> Electric -> Monorail-> MagLev, which are mutually exclusive except for Steam being able to drive on Electric.
TTD had tunnels and bridges, which allowed the player to use different track types simultaneously.

But even if those appear in Factorio, I would still rather go the nuclear locomotive route than introduce entire tech/production trees which duplicate the functionality of existing ones to a T.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

In reality, MagLev trains are only used for passenger transport, but not for heavy freight transport, because it is not economical to do so. Therefore, I'm afraid that, at least from the perspective of realism, MagLev trains would not fit well into Factorio.

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SlondoTK »

Lav wrote:So, add another network of rails which is incompatible with the current one?
The good side of this is that there would be no traffic on the rails, You can put this line on other normal train lines, the two do not come together because they are a monorail and a rail ...
Tekky wrote:In reality, MagLev trains are only used for passenger transport, but not for heavy freight transport, because it is not economical to do so. Therefore, I'm afraid that, at least from the perspective of realism, MagLev trains would not fit well into Factorio.
There could be an adaptation in these trains, where they could carry heavy loads like diesel trains :) as it happens in TTD

skedlof
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Monorail

Post by skedlof »

Monorail track wide as conveyor belt,
Monorail car (MC) size as drone,
MC is autonomous, no need to add locomotive, energy can be connected anywhere on the track (energy goes through track),
MC move along the track,
Machine gun, inserter, repairer, etc. can be mounted on the MC,
Can be a series of connected MC ot the track,

To start with, no need to add complex signals, every MC(s) goes through own track.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Monorail

Post by ssilk »

Merged with older thread
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”