adding more(new) research

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

monogenesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

adding more(new) research

Post by monogenesis »

Hello Factorio Team,

the game is great as it is, just wished for a little more spice in the lategame for more different research objects, since research is mostly the only important thing to do or to show how far you can advance.
Things i wished for (suggestions):
- increased Power Armor MK2 space for more moduls, make it expensive and a just 1 space or somehting like that
- maybe add one more toolbar
- increased Radar vision radius
- combatdrone roboports, dropping quickly a set amount of combatdrones on contact with aliens or even with a remote controll like discharge defense

I am sure there are mods for those things but i really enjoy playing Factorio in vanilla only.
Hope the are some things you could inlcude. Thanks for the game !

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: adding more(new) research

Post by JohnyDL »

Have you tried mods?
monogenesis wrote:- increased Power Armor MK2 space for more moduls, make it expensive and a just 1 space or somehting like that
Modular Armor Mod has a mk3 suit and mk4 I think
monogenesis wrote:maybe add one more toolbar
I'm pretty sure Bob's Logistics adds a 3rd and 4th
monogenesis wrote: increased Radar vision radius
Big Brother Mod Does this it is awesome, but actually on a map with biters it's a drawback cause biters only expand in the explored map plus like 4 chunks
monogenesis wrote:combatdrone roboports, dropping quickly a set amount of combatdrones on contact with aliens or even with a remote controll like discharge defense
Robot Army Mod does this amongst others

Didn't want a link to mods? want it in the base game? There's a thread about that
ssilk wrote:You made a cool suggestion and there is only a reply like
There is a mod, which implements this suggestion, see .....link to mod....
This is not, what you wanted.
En Dotter replied here this wonderful answer:
En_Dotter wrote:Tnx for responses guys! They were helpful.
I just gotta make one little comment. In most of the games that involve crafting and management i hear a lot of responses that sound like "there is a mod" or "it is easy to mod it by changing this and that" and other similar statements. While i really appreciate any kind of help, most of the time i suggest things that i think would benefit the original (vanilla) game. Don't get me wrong, but answers involving mods and modding are not something i am looking for. I play mods after i get "fed up" with the vanilla to spice things up and stuff like that. I suppose thats just a play style preference after all.
Well, we had such kind of discussions already. :) So I want to present the results.

The reasons why it is very useful, that mods are mentioned in suggestions are:
  • If there is a mod, there is a much bigger chance that the idea is added into vanilla.
  • By using a mod there is a much bigger chance that the mod is added into vanilla, than by discussing around.
  • A working implementation (=code) is much more worth than 100,000 words. (Sorry, but every programmer knows that this is true)
  • By using a mod (=increasing the download count) you motivate the modder much more, than you can imagine.
  • Logically: By using a mod bugs of that mods will be fixed (if reported of course).
  • By using a mod you have a much higher chance to influence development, than for the vanilla. (You can talk directly with the modder! In general they are much more willing to implement your ideas into their mods, than the Factorio-dev-team :) )
  • A suggestion may sound very useful in theory. Yes, in most cases this true, when implemented. But I've seen also some cases where this wasn't so (even some of my ideas). The idea wasn't playable/not such a good idea as it sounded. Until you haven't tried out a new concept there is just no prove.
  • It can take months to years, until your suggestion is implemented into vanilla, cause there are a lot more other ideas.
  • Because it takes so long to be implemented it is useful to use a mod instead, cause the game changes and your idea needs an update or becomes absurd.
  • Others than you read this suggestions and will try out mods, even if you would never do that.
  • Modders read this suggestions and if their mod is mentioned their target (players know their mod, download count) is achieved. Logically they get also much more interested to implement your idea.
Hope that helps you to understand, that there is no malicious of mentioning mods, instead it makes much sense to keep it this way. :)

It also makes much sense, that you as a someone who has suggested things, tries out similar ideas, that already has been implemented as mod.

monogenesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by monogenesis »

Thanks for the answer, i dont hate mods but what i want is to play the game like the creators want it to be.
If mods encourage them to make these changes then thumbs up!
Just wanted to write down some of my ideas.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

monogenesis wrote:Thanks for the answer, i dont hate mods but what i want is to play the game like the creators want it to be.
If mods encourage them to make these changes then thumbs up!
Just wanted to write down some of my ideas.
The creators want you to play with tons of mods actually. Otherwise they wouldn't have put all the work into making it as easy as possible to search/install them in-game. Some of the creators (Rseding91, Klonan) even publish their own mods.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

monogenesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by monogenesis »

I think there is still a difference between playing the vanilla game with implemented features or playing the game with mods (I guess from a certain balance standpoint)
but i totally get your point, as JohnyDL implicated that mods even encourage the developers.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Yup features taken directly from mods into the game:
Fluid barrels for more than oil
The picker tool
Blueprint exchange
more

But the only reason these were added was really because they were tried and tested, popular, useful and balanced, asking a Dev to include an idea without this is what happened with the 0.15 science and nukes everything needed tweaking for several versions of the game later and lead to updates which broke bits of the game. I really do understand that you don't want to bloat the game with 'unnecessary' mods I don't like all mods but I only know which ones I like and which ones I don't want to recommend by playing with them, I like bigger batteries but I don't want them in vanilla because OP. I like big brother but I don't think that's the way to make beacons better in vanilla (I've suggested a moduled way to do it). I really like Picker Extended by Nexela (where the picker tool came from but it has a dozen other things in it too) and Ghost Copier by distantcam as QOL things that really need to be Vanilla but something like Bob's or Angel's or Yuoki as aggregate mods don't do it for me but picking and choosing some of the modules is okay. There is a perfect Vanilla+ experience for you, and adding and removing mods (in most cases) doesn't break saves download them use them a little in a new save "my game1 copy for modded testing" or something and then use the ones you like and not the rest.

monogenesis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by monogenesis »

You really know good about mods !
Generally i'am happy with vanilla as it is, but i might look at some extentions you mentioned if it gets me.
Thank you for your insight !

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”